SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
arktrees

Question about Q. coccinea for the Oak Fans

arktrees
13 years ago

To those of you who have experience with Oak, and in particular with Scarlet Oak Quercus coccinea, I could use your experience, as I have very little Oak experience.

My other half decided that she wants an Oak tree, but basically left it to me to decide which. This combined with a few other things got me to looking at Oaks much harder than I have before. Turns out that allot of the really nicely colored Oaks I was seeing this fall are Scarlet Oaks. So that sent me to looking for what's available. Knowing they have a rep for not being the easiest to plant/transplant, and that they are not often found of any size, I was quit surprised to find 2" caliper B&B Scarlet Oak available locally. The root balls on these is cone shaped approximately 30" wide (measured) and an estimated 22-24" deep (estimated due to part not being exposed). The trees look to be in very good condition for B&B, and some of them were in fall color (due to being in town with a heat island effect slowing fall down).

So my question to all of you, how difficult have they been to transplant in your experience? Other Oaks with the same reputation are probable good analogues i.e. White Oak Q. alba.

On the positive side is the fact they are just now going completely dormant in the fall, the ground rarely freezes very deep here, and when it does it's not for more than a couple weeks. Fall planting has been much superior in my experience. So they are likely to be able to generate roots all winter. But their rep is making me a bit on the nervous side since they ain't cheap.

Any feedback would be appreciated,

Arktrees

Comments (11)