SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
somewherre

Q's about installing additional outlets

somewherre
17 years ago

I have an old 2-family house which is grossly underwired. The walls are plaster/lath, which I've never dealt with and would rather not if I don't have to. What I'd like to do is set up a bunch of new outlets throughout both apts (I live here too) using surface mounts. I don't want to tap into existing outlets, which seems to be the common usage of Wiremold and their ilk, but rather give each string of outlets it's own new 15a or 20a circuit, and discontinue or limit using the in-place wiring. Primarily this is so that when someone tries to use a hair-dryer in the bathroom, the 3-4 other rooms on the same circuit don't lose power too.

That said...my idea is to simply drill a few strategic holes in the floors and run the wire up through them, mounting surface outlets along the wood baseboard. I'm not as concerned with looks as I am with code and safety. For the 2nd floor apt, the wire would also run up the wall of the 1st floor apt, and again run along the baseboard.

I originally thought I could just run 12-2 romex to do this, and had planned on using the plastic Wiremold - both the boxes and flattish conduit. The romex would go from the circuit, stapled to the joist bottoms in the (unfinished) basement, and up through the holes in the floors, and then into the boxes and conduit. A bunch of reading online this morning has told me I need to rethink a *lot* of this plan.

I'm ok with using THHN instead of romex, as well as putting up some running board in the basement (if someone can tell me what exactly that is), but still have a few questions.

Is it true that the outlets need to be 6" above the floor? What do I use then to anchor the boxes and conduit to plaster walls since using the wood baseboard isn't an option?

Does the THHN that runs across the joists in the basement need to be in a conduit as well, even with a running board? Does it matter what kind? And if a conduit is needed, does it need to go all the way to the circuit panel?

In the basement, can the THHN be connected to romex in a junction box and brought to the panel that way? I've got a ton of romex 12-2, and have a sneaking suspicion the THHN is kinda pricey.

Sorry this is so long. I'm open to any and all suggestions and/or alternatives. I don't have a copy of the NEC so all my info is based on online heresay...so please do correct me where I'm wrong.

Comments (6)