SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
theresse_gw

Q. for those w/ tile-installing experience:

theresse
13 years ago

Or I should say more specifically, for those experienced with installing backsplash, e.g. subway tile:

The stainless countertop we ordered and had installed has problems (long story) and they're going to be replacing it with a better fitting one. Beyond the fitting issues, I'm now also wondering if I should have one thing be different in terms of function...

On the first one, I was advised to have a very short lip, or cove I believe it's called, extend upward at the back of the counter, against the wall that's to be tiled. Because it's a period-ish kitchen, I don't want the countertop to have a cove that can be seen (I want tile all the way down to the counterop) but I was told the tile could be installed in front of this short cove so that if water should get back there, it won't rot anything behind or underneath. Yes the tile will still have to be cleaned and maintained occasionally but so does everyone's who doesn't have a high cove.

My questions are, can tile truly, easily be attached well to this short cove and:

-- Will it stay on well, if the bottom portion of the tile is stuck onto metal while the majority of the tile (tiles are 2x6") will be stuck to the wall just above and behind the metal cove? Will that bottom tile be at risk of breaking off due to metal not being so easy to stay stuck to or something like that?

-- If the bend or precise angle of the cove is ever so slightly off and results in the tile not being perfectly flush with the metal, is that a problem? I don't expect it would be much off but just asking. Should I give the metal fabricator a piece of tile to work with or is knowing the thickness of the tile helpful for them re. the cove?

-- If the first tile sticks out more because the cove sits behind it (even though the metal's not very thick) and the rest of the tiles above it are stuck fully to the wall, AND I want all my tile to appear nice and tight and flush/even throughout, how can this happen? If it's by putting more goop on there to minimize the difference in depth, does it matter that my tile isn't the rustic or chunky kind, but rather has very straight, sharp edges and is very flat tile with no bevel (that I want there to be very little grout line between each tile (about 1/16")? Should these details factor in to my decision about tiling over that cove/having a cove?

Thank you so much, as always!!

p.s. - The cove has a space behind it in the pic (a space behind it and the wall) because the countertop had to be pulled away in order to make an overhand (they miscalculated while measuring). That's why it looks so far from the wall. If I have a cove made on the replacement countertop too, it *should* be flush up against the wall.

Comments (17)