SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
timberohio

Veterans Honor.... Newbies impulse buy....

timberohio
16 years ago

Ok I'm not a newbie I've killed roses for years :) and it wasn't really an impulse buy. The Rose is huge and beautiful plus Jackson Perkins donates the money made to the Veteran's fund.

I Love roses, but they don't love me. I kill everyone I touch within a couple of years of owning them. and the ones that have managed to survive don't thrive. But I seen this rose a tea hybrid named Veterans Honor and decided to give it another go.

I am going to build it it's very own bed. With all the proper soil and nutrients and then make my husband plant it. Like I said I kill every one I touch so I'm not touching it except to deadhead and then I'll only touch it with the pruners.

I want to make sure it is planted properly.

What is the proper soil to plant a rose in? Should I buy potting soil and mix it with peat? Is there a special soil just for roses?

The bed will be a raised bed about 1 to 2 feet. Will that affect the rose roots in the winter?

Should roses be cut back every winter or should the stems be left on?

Is there a website that can answer all my questions without being to technical. I've read some that I just don't understand. Perhaps a Roses for dummies book?

Or should I just quit spending money on roses and just admire everyone else's?

Thanks

Comments (43)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus