SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenhaven_gw

Okay, time for some advice for a very enthusiastic newbie

greenhaven
11 years ago

I am not new to gardening, or plants in general. In fact, I did earn two AAS degrees, one in Landscape Design and the other in Ornamental Horticulture. I am currently runing my own brand-new design business. Degrees do not, I find, even come close to touching the invaluable knowledge that experience brings to the table.

In the last couple of years I have come to really discover conifers and become more and more infatuated with them. I am passionate and I am impulsive, but I want to be wise in my selection of conifers for planting on my property.

With the WIDE selection of cultivars, a generally limited amount of space and even more limited experience with conifers, I am looking for advice on how to get started without tackling the whole Grand Scheme at once.

To start with I have a couple handfuls of conifers in pots ready to be transplanted, and a couple of small-ish starter beds with the turf killed off and just waiting for the addition of topsoil and compost (to offset the loamy-sand conditions here.) My current in-pot plant list is as follows:

-Picea pungens 'Montgomery'

-Chamaecyparis obtusa 'Kosteri'

-Juniperus squamata 'Blue Star' (plebeian, maybe, but I love it anyway! Probably responsible for my launch into the world of conifers)

-Picea abies 'Nidiformis'

-Picea omorika 'Pimoko' (if it doesn't croak)

-Pinus parviflora 'Kinpo'

And on the top of my list of "I WILL have that" is:

-Picea engelmanni 'Bush's Lace.'

Other than that I could potentially want everything, lol! We live on five acres, but about an acre and a half is pasture, about the same amount is re-prairie-ized, and then there is the house and two large outbuildings. Oh, and our veggie garden and small orchard.

In addition, we live right on (share two property lines with) a Nature Conservancy-owned prairie, and we will not, in any way, shape or form, block our best views.

I am not necessarily looking for specific advice. What I am looking for is advice on how to temper my enthusiasm, make good planting choices, and plan ahead. I do not have a ton of money to spend on plants (partly why I landscape, lol, spending other's money is WAY better!) but, Lord willing, plenty of time.

How do you guys keep your heads screwed on straight and how did you get started? How do you make your cultivar choices?

Comments (24)