SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pamchesbay

ISO Advice about Landscaping with pics

Pamchesbay
16 years ago

I'd like advice about how to landscape around our house, a beach house that is built on pilings 10 feet above ground. This makes the house appear larger than it is - it looms. The entrance faces north - this is where we park, carry groceries into the house, etc. There are two flights of stairs on this side of the house - one to the front door and one on the east side of the house that goes to the beach.

Photo #1: House from driveway.

{{gwi:345111}}

I'd like to find ways to tie the house to the land. I'd also like to find trees that can survive the wind.

FRONT

A landscape designer recommended Acer palmatum Bloodgood for a bed in front of the house, with Juniper 'Blue Rug' beneath. For the bed along the front, he recommended Cotoneaster "'Coral Beauty," Pink Lady Indian Hawthorne with Hamamelis 'Arnold's Promise' in front of the stairs on the east side of the house. I planted the Jap maple and witch hazel, both were dead in a year. I planted another Bloodgood that was locally grown. Within months, it was dying so I moved it to a more sheltered location where it is recovering. I replaced the Bloodgood with a Dawn redwood but I'd like a couple of trees with more color in this location.

The designer also recommended Tolleson's weeping juniper next to the deck and stairs on the east. It's a cool looking tree but when there is wind, the branches get tangled up.

I'd also like to screen the utilities on the west side of the house. The A/C and generator are on a platform about 6-8 feet above ground. A 500 gallon propane tank is strapped to a cement pad below. In a bed in front of the AC & generator is a weeping yaupon holly that is doing well. A Heritage river birch is close to the driveway, a native fringetree (Chionanthus virginicus) is behind the river birch. This area gets a lot of wind.

The designer recommended using Hicks Yews to screen the utilities. I've planted 3 Hicks Yews twice. They died within a few months.

SIDE & FRONT

Here is a photo of the east side of the house taken from the beach in early morning:

{{gwi:345113}}

Here is a photo of the house from the water.

{{gwi:345115}}

I can't plant large trees between the water and the house because of hurricanes. Wind blows most of the time. We are well protected from nor 'easters by a wide band of pines. We get wind from the east, south and west - it can blow for days or weeks. I would like to plant small trees, large shrubs, maybe palms, and/or grasses around the sides and front of the house to soften the look of the pilings, perhaps make the house seem less tall, and tie the house to the ground. Salt spray is not a problem but we do have occasional short periods of salt water flooding during tropical storms.

I appreciate advice - I've read and studied but am stumped.

Many thanks, Pam

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living