SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lilion

Very Weird. My trop hibiscus changed colors!

lilion
16 years ago

And I'm not just talking about getting lighter! For the past three years I've had an ORANGE hibiscus. Today my first bloom opened and it's dark RED! Not a trace of orange! I've never heard of such a thing. Has anyone else?

I bought it in 2005 and it was definately orange. I overwintered it indoors, cut it back, put it out in 2006 and it was still orange. It had bloomed late in 2006 because I didn't cut it back early enough in the winter, but it was still blooming when I brought it in for the fall. This winter I've had nothing but problems with it. First it was whiteflys. Then it was thrips. I washed it in the shower. I sprayed it with soap. Finally I bought a systemic insecticide and watered with it. Nothing. The directions said to water with it every four or six weeks I believe. I did it every week - I was either going to kill the bugs or the plant and didn't care which at that point. It looked really bad and I wasn't sure it would make it (darn bugs never really died either) but as soon as it was warm enough (and maybe a bit early) I stuck it outside. Bugs are now gone, leaves are out, and it's starting to bloom...but it's no longer orange!

Has anyone at all ever heard of this happening or have any idea what could have caused it?

Comments (16)

Sponsored