SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nancyofnc

Does anyone file Scheduled Processes for Veg Jelly and Chutney?

nancyofnc
14 years ago

I sell jams and jelly at a local farmers market (a whole different world than making them for family and friends!!!) and I have filed scheduled processes for my pickles (low acid acidified foods). I've been certified for home processing low acid and acidified foods by the FDA, blessed by my State's kitchen inspector, and have my well tested yearly by the County, besides filing my "business" as a food manufacturing facility with the gov under the Bioterrorism act of 2002, can never use a pressure or steam canner for anything I offer, and have a business (DBA) fictitious ID, and Sales and Use Tax ID to collect State taxes, just to be able to sell my home-canned products. Have you jumped these hoops?

I want to begin selling chutney and vegetable jellies but can find so little info or FDA guidelines for those foods relative to selling them to the public. Are they acidified foods (vegetables with vinegar, wine, or citric fruit juices added to high acid fruits) which would require filing a scheduled process, or are they jellies (high volume of sugar and basically high acid fruits with additions of low acid vegetables) that are exempt from filing because of low food safety risk and not covered under 21CFR as a jam/jelly/preserve? That also begs the question of low acid fruit jellies like papaya, tomatoes, and figs, along with a whole bunch of other fruit jellies, for which the approved recipes require you to add lemon juice or other acidifiers to the process. There are approved recipes out there, so are these low acid fruit jellies supposed to have scheduled processes filed too if you want to sell them?

My Hab Gold Jelly tests at a finished pH equilibrium of less than 3.8, for example, but the peppers and onions are at a beginning pH of 5.5 - so --- are they acidified, or are the apricots of pH 3.3 and the vinegar and sugar offsetting the beginning pH and therefore the jelly deemed as having "minimal" low acid food additions incorporated into those high acid foods?

I've emailed my State's expert on food safety but have not heard back yet. It is quite likely his reply will be to spend the 100 bucks to have my Hab Gold Jelly tested in the State's food lab to be sure, but maybe not. Well, this is a widely published recipe/process, even in the Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving 2006 (with no credit given to Annie1992, or ReadingLady (carol) !!!), and surely I am not the only one who has considered offering this jelly for sale to the public in the US, and who wants to be within the gov guidelines - so testing it again (for a big fee) doesn't seem necessary if the process is followed exactly and the recipe/process has already been tested and approved numerous times, and if it is deemed a high acid product (which does not need filing a scheduled process with the FDA).

The real question is that I need to know if chutney and vegetable jellies are low or high acid foods, or acidified low acid foods, and whether or not they require filing of scheduled processes.

Nancy

Comments (5)