SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mssweettater

I'm new here and new to canning and have a ?

mssweettater
15 years ago

I sure hope someone can help me. I have never canned a thing in my life, but we recently moved to the country and I am having a good size garden this year. I usually just freeze my veggies, but with living in Hurricane country, and being without electricity for weeks at a time, I thought it would be better to can this time.

I just ordered a Presto 23qt. canner and it should be here by Sat. But what i need to know is if I need to buy the 3 piece set of weights that I have been reading about on here. I am providing the link to the pressure cooker that I bought, so if someone could look at it and tell me if I need the weights? And if the weights that everyone has been discussing here will fit it, if I need to buy them?

Here is a link that might be useful: Presto Canner, 23Qt.

Comments (12)

• ksrogers
    15 years ago

Yes. As mentioned in many of the numerous posts about weights, they are essential for getting accurate pressures. A simple dial gauge can go out of whack and not be accurate even if its sent to some testuing facility. The dial gauges are for reference only and are only good to know if there is some kind of pressure within the canner. I suggest starting in the beginning like making some jellies. There, you do not need to pressure can, and will be able to use the PC for doing boiling water bath canning too. After a few recipes for jellies, and using pectin, then you can go to canning pickles and tomatoes. Pickles need vinegar, and tomatoes need citric acid. Both are safe to can in a boiling water bath. Once you have done a few batches of BWB canning, you can move up to PC. I wouldn't just jump into pressure canning without some experience doing the simpler things first.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

I agree that the weights are needed. They not only make the process easier but much safer too.

And you will want to explore this site linked below thoroughly as it is the recognized authority on how-to can at home safely.

What sorts of things to you plan to can? Most start out as Ken said above with just BWB canning and then move on to the PC once they gain some experience. Be sure to keep us posted on how it is going.

Welcome to home canning!! ;)

Dave

Here is a link that might be useful: National Center for Home Food Processing

• lifesblessings
    15 years ago

I don't know what edibles you are raising, but have you considered a food dehydrator? Great alternative for lots of things, esp fruits and mushrooms.

• mssweettater
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks ya'll! I thought I would need the weights, but just wanted to make sure.

If everything goes well, I hope to be doing corn, green beans, lima beans, and tomato juice.

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

By her name you can tell she's a good old southern girl who has been around home canning all her life...just not on her own...Hey Tater...welcome to the Harvest Forum...

• vic01
    15 years ago

IMO from the picture I'd say wait and see if the weights are included with the canner. It looks like they might be.

• digdirt2
    15 years ago

IMO from the picture I'd say wait and see if the weights are included with the canner. It looks like they might be.

No, sorry. It comes with a 15 lb. counter-weight only and that is what you see in the picture. The 5-10-15 lb. weight set has to be purchased separately.

Dave

• mssweettater
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Ruthie!! Yes, I am an old southern girl and I grew up with a mother who did lots of canning, but my job was to wash the veggies and once I was done with that, I scampered outside as fast as I could!!! LOL!!! I wish now I had payed more attention!!!

But I intend to pay alot of attention here and know with ya'lls help, I will learn alot!!! I am so glad I listened to Ruthie and finally made my way over here!!!

• tclynx
    15 years ago

There ya go girl. Check out that site with the rules for canning or you can even order a copy of the book (good thing to have on hand to double check your processing times and such.)

• ruthieg__tx
    15 years ago

Tater there is a wealth of info at this site so if you have a question, use the search box at the bottom of the page and you will get lots of information. Don't hesitate to ask but just wanted to tell you that the search engine is pretty good....Lots and lots of recipes on this forum too.

• mssweettater
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Ruthie. I have been doing quite a bit of reading. I can hardly wait to try out some of the recipes!!!

• belindach
    15 years ago

I'm also in hurricane country and recommend drying some of you vegs. Okra works extremely well dried and so do most shelled beans. Tomatoes also work dried.