SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
conate_gw

European Pressure Canners

conate
14 years ago

Hi folks,

I recently purchased a Fissler Pressure cooker, from Germany. It is large enough to hold 4 quart jars so might possibly be considered useful as a pressure canner.

The cooker, though, pressurizes to ".8 bar" which is 80% of 1 atmospheric pressure, which is 11.6 psi.

At my altitude this is too low to use for pressure canning, though it is an excellent pressure cooker. I a therefore using my (larger) "All American" pressure canner for canning at my 5800 feet of altitude.

One thing I am puzzled about though is this; the maker of the pressure cooker tells me the following:

> >But we can confirm again that

> > that our pressure

> > cookers can go to a level of 0.8 bar but according to our experiences

> > this is enough for canning in the pressure cooker independently from the

> > height you are living.

Not to doubt what they say -- and they do claim that

> >> > This is one of the features of the Fissler pressure cookers that

> >> > they are working indenpendently from the ambient pressure. Due to

But this flies in the face of ALL of what I have read over the years.

Do any of you have any thoughts on these metric (euro) standard pressure cookers for canning? If I lived at sea level, where 10psi was sufficient, I could see using them - but how can a pressure cooker work independently from the ambient pressure? How can it guarantee that your food gets > 240 degrees F?

Fissler do claim that their cookers exhaust the air before sealing up and building pressure and from my experience they do.

Does anyone know enough about pressure cooker engineering to comment?

I love the Fissler and plan to keep it and use it as a cooker - but I am too leery to can in it. (I'd have bought a 12 quart presto or something for canning BUT I won't do anything from China in contact with food, so that was out since Presto has moved their production offshore. My other canner is awesome but at 22 quarts can be a bit large for just a few pints of beef stew).

Nate

Comments (20)