SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarahk7

ISO spicy pickle recipe a la McClure's

sarahk7
12 years ago

I am a newbie here so please be gentle. I've been lurking for a couple of years now and though I've learned much I have pretty much been scared off all attempts at home canning lest I kill someone! However, I'm feeling bold this year and am wanting to try again this summer. I'll be sticking to very high acid foods!

I want to make and BWB can a fresh (not fermented) dill cucumber pickle that is very very spicy, like McClure's pickles. They are local to me and seriously the best! but insanely expensive - like $9 a jar. The pickles are pretty basic - dill, garlic, dried spices, and several fresh hot peppers such as habaneros. No sugar. Trouble is, despite extensive searching here and in the approved books I cannot find a safe recipe for fresh pack cucumber pickles that includes fresh hot peppers as well.

So I am reaching out to the collective expertise here in hopes that someone can help! Do any of you know of a tested recipe I could use? I'm assuming that I cannot add a fresh pepper or 3 to a standard dill pickle recipe as it would dangerously change the pH.

Comments (25)