SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
2ajsmama

BH&G pink plaid cookbook - canning recipes OK?

2ajsmama
13 years ago

I picked up a copy at library book sale, was looking at recipes, seems to follow USDA guidelines for instructions, but this corn relish recipe seems low-acid to me for a BWB so now I'm wondering about their salsa and pickle recipes too. Here's the corn relish (I've condensed some of the instructions):

16-18 ears of fresh corn (measure 8C of kernels)

3C chopped celery

1 1/2C chopped red sweet peppers

1 1/2C chopped green sweet peppers

1 C chopped onion

3 C vinegar

2 C sugar

4 tsp dry mustard

2 tsp pickling salt

2 tsp celery seeds

1 tsp ground turmeric

2 TBSP cornstarch (!)

2 TBSP cold water

1. Cut corn from cobs (do not scrape). Measure 8 C, Combine corn and the 2C water in 8-10 quart heavy kettle, bring to boil, reduce heat. Simmer 4-5 minutes til tender, drain.

2. In same kettle, combine corn, celery, red and green peppers, and onions. Stir in vinegar, sugar, mustard, salt, celery seeds and turmeric. Bring to boil. Boi gently 5 min, stirring occasionally. Combine cornstarch and 2 Tbsp cold water - add to corn mixture. "Cook and stir until bubbly: cook and stir for 2 minutes more."

3. Ladle hot relish into clean hot pint jars, leaving 1/2" headspace. BWB 15 min. Makes 7 pints

NCHFP doesn't have a recipe that I can see - Ball has one that makes 6 half pints, uses half the corn (4C), just under half the amount of other low-acid veggies (3 1/4C) and 2 C of vinegar:

2 cups white vinegar

� 2/3 cup sugar

� 1 Tbsp salt

� 4 cups cooked corn kernels (about 8 ears)

� 2 cups diced mixed red and green bell peppers (about 2 large)

� 3/4 cup diced celery (about 2 stalks)

� 1/2 cup finely chopped onion (about 1 small)

� 1 Tbsp dry mustard

� 1 tsp celery seeds

� 1 tsp ground turmeric

So shouldn't BH&G recipe call for 4C of vinegar? Is this even safe to can in pints, or stick to half pints (Ball BWBs for 15 minutes in the half pint jars).

I think that I would stick with Ball recipe, not use the BH&G at all (unless increased vinegar to 4C and omitted cornstarch), but as I said this just makes me wonder about their other canning recipes. I know I should post any I'm really interested in for comment, but does 1 bad recipe spoil the whole cookbook (section), to coin a phrase?

Comments (2)