SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
glib_gw

Cheap ways to make stock

glib
15 years ago

Reposted from the Veg forum:

We have soup most winter nights here, and I make about 20 gallons of stock every winter, in my beer making 5 gallons pot. I then freeze it in quarts, and of course you can use the stuff for risotto or stews.

I am posting this to point out that a simple freezing of a few bags of inedible refuse will provide a household with stock for the whole winter. If you have chickens, do not forget to feed the boiled vegetable matter after you have made stock.

Carrots: we have a juicer, so the carrots that go in the pot are the juiced pulp. We get a lot of this stuff, of course. Unlike southern carrots, here carrots are sweet, and they impart a slightly sweet flavor to the stock.

After boiling the pulp sinks. Only the last gallon or so needs filtering.

Onions: save and freeze all trimmings, but in particular all skins. You can not have too many onion skins in stock. They give it color and flavor. Outer layers, and the top and root bits also go in the stock. The skins are better than the whole vegetable when it comes to making stock.

Celery: I am against using perfectly good stalks for stock. If I juice celery, I will save the pulp (it will be mixed with carrot pulp anyway), but if you have celery in the garden all you need to do is save the celery greens. They will flavor stock the same way as celery stalks.

Potato: yes, you can definitely use potato skins, and we do freeze and save those, but if you have to splurge on a whole veggie, peeled potatoes, boiled until they break apart, give the best flavor to the stock.

Greens: here is where it gets tricky. Chard and other nice greens (beet, spinach, or collard) will in fact give no flavor to the stock. Cabbage will smell a bit, and bitter greens such as radicchio or dandelion will in fact make the stock a bit bitter. Because we have many of these, we use a lot of stalks of kale and stalks of cavolo nero (lacinato).

But one green that is much better, and is usually not eaten, is leek greens. And the very best, in my opinion, is carrot greens, also usually not eaten. So save in your freezer bags of leek and carrot greens. In fact, if you pick your carrots in the fall, save a couple of bags of greens, they will get you through the winter. Leek greens have onion-like flavor, carrot greens are spicy.

Comments (46)