SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tannatonk23_fl_z9a

Blue Sky Vine - Thunbergia grandiflora

tannatonk23_fl_z9a
16 years ago

It jumped in my cart today while picking up some new garden gloves!

The tag says "full sun". Can anyone tell me if this really means full Florida sun? I have a couple of different spots I could use it that are either full sun or bright light/shade but no direct sun. Which area would you recommend?

Thanks - you guys are so helpful!

Comments (32)

• nikkers
    16 years ago

I have one growing on a trellis in full sun. It blooms all year round. I don't even fertilize and it still wants to take over the world. It is the one plant I have that attracts a LOT of attention.

You may try in part shade, but I have no experience in that.

Jo

• nova_gw
    16 years ago

I grew a Skyvine in my "old" garden in St Lucie county in full blazing sun and it did wonderfully. It would die back some in the winter but that was a good time to cut it back severely to keep it under control. Here is a picture of it before I left.

The vine is on the left side of the porch and this picture was taken in the spring just as it began to take off for the summer. It would grow all the way across the roof of the porch and onto the house. Needless to say give it plenty of room!

nova

• manature
    16 years ago

Mine was grown in full, blazing Florida sun, too, and did just fine. In fact, it got huge. But it does die back in winter, and is easy to prune if you need to control it a bit. Best to give it lots of room and watch it put on a grand show. The flowers are stunning! Great photo, Nova!

Marcia

• msmarion
    16 years ago

One of my favorite garden shops has a white one. She said it was rare. I tried to grow one as a house plant in NH...didn't survive. *sigh*

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the advice. Nova, what a pretty spot! I want to make an area like that up against my shed. That would be perfect for this vine! But that is another project for another day. Glad to hear that it will take our sun. I have a bare run of fence that is about 30 feet long that is in sun all day long. Sounds like a good place to start the blue sky vine. Then in front of that I would like to get rid of the grass for another big bed for purple cone flower and black eyed susan type flowers. I had so many of those in Montana but I have not been able to find seed down here. After the beds are made I'll have to look harder.

Thanks again!

• manature
    16 years ago

Tannatonk, that sounds like the perfect spot for it! I have tons of seeds for our native brown-eyed Susan, rudbeckia triloba, if you want them. Email me if you do, and I'll send you some.

Marcia

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Marcia - that is so nice of you. I would love some seed. I will email you now through your page. Hope it works!

• tropicalfreak
    16 years ago

Yes, it can take full Florida sun once it gets settled in.

• manature
    16 years ago

Tannatonk, don't try to send it through GW. They never get to me. Just email me at mmeara at cfl dot rr dot com. That should do it!

Marcia

• countrynest
    16 years ago

My fovorite vine. I had this Pergola built just for her, Felix

• nova_gw
    16 years ago

tannatonk-I loved my porch there. In the summer when the skyvine bloomed they would drop down through the lattice so you had to dodge the blue blossoms to get in the front door!

Marcia-That is one of my favorite pictures from my "old" garden. Sometimes I miss it so bad I could cry. The people who bought that house have removed or killed almost all the plants I had put in, including the skyvine!

Felix-I see that you are in Summerfield, not too far from me. I have wanted another skyvine but was unsure how they would do up here. Seeing yours tho means I will have to find one for the "new" garden! Now, where to put the "monster"!

nova

• tannatonk23_fl_z9a
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Felix, that is beautiful! Thanks for posting the picture.

Marcia - I emailed you again.

Nova, it's sad when we have to leave our gardens to a new owner that doesn't appreciate them. I know I left a really nice place in Montana and I don't even want to know what happened to it.

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Now, wht is it I have no skyvine in my garden??? I think katkin gave me some once but it got blowed away. That is one of the prettiest vines, I think.

Felix, love the pergla!

• nikkers
    16 years ago

Cindeea,
    I live in your area. I can take a few cutting for you if you are interested. I bought it at the Butterfly Garden near Ft Lauderdale. I trim it all the time, it has never gone dormant BTW.
    Jo

• cindeea
    16 years ago

Jo-that's super, I'd love some again. Send me an email and maybe we can get together!

• gardenbrat72
    16 years ago

Wow What a beautiful color of blue. I have to have that now too! I know what you mean about leaving a garden behind, I left a beautiful garden in Ohio that I started from nothing but a yard full of weeds and I miss it very much. I would be afraid to see it now probably, I would just cry!

• teka2rjleffel
    16 years ago

I have no sun left, roses come first. So I looked on Floridata and it said it would grow shade-sun. I have it in a mostly shady area and it's doing well.
    Nancy

• AmberSky
    16 years ago

It likes it's feet shady and it's crown sunny. Mine is up an oak, and it hangs down lovely penants of blooms. It's opne of the very best things in my garden and never fails to get a WOW, when it's in bloom...which is most of the year.

• shelrose
    16 years ago

ohhhhhhh i have been looking for one of these! i have a 'blue garden' out my bedroom window, just planting blue & white flowers. i need something on the fence, and fell in love with this at the fl. botanic garens nearby. it was huge though-- woody, even-- which i am sure you could keep down as long as you were really on top of it, as others say.

if anyone knows a source in central pinellas county that is carrying these, let me know!

--shelbey

• cindeea
    16 years ago

shelbey
    Would you like some Blue Pea vine to add to your blueness?? I got seeds, I think.

• smittee
    16 years ago

How pretty, May be you can tell what I saw the other day. It is blue and looks like what I know as a morning glory ...How ever in Wash state they are white with a frail vine and are very invasive....The one I saw was a beautiful rich blue and a vine and covered a chain link fence and trellis...the center of the flower was white...any ideas.......I am so overwhelmed with the flowers and plants here, they are all new strange to me. Nothing is familiar.
    THANKS

• evak
    16 years ago

I saw one at Lowe's yesterday, but hesitated to buy it because I don't have a pergola for it and hurricane Charley destroyed my big trellis. I have seen a vine growing up a telephone pole to the top and then across the wire -- it looked pretty bad though, when the frost killed it.
    My property backs up to a wildlife preserve, and I wondered if I could let it run up and over the trees and shrubbery (but that might get me trouble with the Homeowners Association). I also saw a red 6ft tall pyramid-type trellis at Lowe's, and wondered how would look covered in Skyvine.

• manature
    16 years ago

Smittee, morning glories come in lots and lots of colors, and with different shaped leaves, too. One of the most popular is Heavenly Blue which is a clear blue with a white throat. I would bet that is what you saw.

Marcia Heavenly Blue Morning Glory

• smittee
    16 years ago

Yes That was it Oh thank you sooooooooooo much I appreciate it.

• lakeron
    16 years ago

shelrose
    Saw that Jene's Tropical Fruit in St Pete had them for sale.
    Not Pinellas but maybe close enough.

• amym2007
    16 years ago

Hello. I have recently started to grow a sky vine. It is beautiful and has really started to take off. I'm not sure of the maintenance required though. Do I need to re pot it as it grows and if I trim the vine in places I don't want it to grow will it help or hurt the vine? I would greatly appreciate any advice! Thanks.
    AmyM

• SaintPFLA
    16 years ago

This is my FAVORITE vine! I have three of them! I bought two at Lowes and one at a garden shop.

I have mine along my fence plus added lattice to the fence. They grow and grow and grow. Righ now, one is climbing to the top of my grapefruit tree and another up my elm (which I am okay with).

My vines are in more of a shadier area and I had tons of blooms for an entire year. Then, the blooms have stopped. No blooms now for a few months. Anyone have any idea as to why and how I can get it blooming again? I threw bloom buster on it and it didn't do a thing. It had seemed to me that they didn't prefer baking in the sun. But, perhaps I am wrong?

I have it mmixed in with a deep purple and white morning glory. Quite stunning when they are both blooming.

One negative, do be careful where you put this vine. It does attract those biting, wood ants. Hummers seem to like the flowers as well.

• zozzl
    16 years ago

I am hoping to have some of T. grandiflora rooted for Kate's swap in October.

• floridabear
    16 years ago

I guess I am late to the posting..I grow this vine and yes it is meant for the Florida full sun! It grows like a weed and takes over any tree it touches . I have to keep it cut back. I need to cut it WAY back now. But I just dont feel like it in this heat! and it is in full bloom now. So,I am enjoying that for now. I'll cut it way back later.

• Abundant Farm Designs
    2 years ago

Can you grow skyvine and muscdine grapes together? We are trying to cover our chicken fencewith some foliage and fruit. Any idea if one will choke out the other or if they can grow on harmony? It would also disguise the woody vines in the off season of the grapes.

• Abundant Farm Designs
    2 years ago

Yes, I realized after posting 🤦‍♀️ and started a new thread elsewhere. Thank you! 😊