SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
misskimmie

The Good Life

misskimmie
15 years ago

I just have to brag a little. Yesterday morning (Sunday) I woke up and felt like having company. I called some friends I hadn't seen for awhile and they said they would be over @ 3pm. I took a big box and went "shopping in my basement". 1st stop was the freezer. I found several large racks of spare ribs I bought last month at 1.49 lb., a big bag of wild blackberries I picked last summer and a small bag of blueberries, a big bag of romano beans from my garden and a big bag of collards and ham I packed up 3 months ago. Next stop was my nearby shelves of home canned goods. I selected a jar of B and B pickles and a small jar of apple-butter to serve and a small jar of strawberry jam and a jar of applesauce to give as a gift. Last stop was the root cellar where I had supplemented the potatoes from my garden with 150 lbs. from a local organic farm. I selected about a dozen large potatoes. The I got busy first defrosting the frozen food, making bread dough, putting in a blackberry pie and a blueberry cake into the oven, baking the bread and slow cooking ribs then cooking up the veggies, They came late (good.. gave me time to clean up) and brought several bottles of wine. My hubby was so impressed that I did this so spontaneously, I cooked everything from scratch and did not need to go to the store for a single ingredient. And the best part: it was you all who have inspired me to can, bake and fill my freezer and buy in bulk (yes even yeast , Ken) Thanks!

kim

Comments (5)