SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mccarty_tim

Sauerkraut in a used Icing Bucket

mccarty_tim
14 years ago

Hi, I started my first batch of sauerkraut and it's now on the fifth day. The vessel I used was an icing bucket I picked up for free from a grocery store bakery. I was under the impression that any food grade plastic bucket would work just as well as a proper crock.

I washed it when I took it home, and I thought I got most of the vanilla smell out, but shortly after loading up the cabbage, much sooner than any fermentation could occur (think 30 minutes), I could smell the vanilla, almost like the salt or cabbage somehow leached out the volatiles from the container.

Now the kraut smells like a mixture of very strong lactic acid and vanilla. The smell is overpowering and borderline offensive, but I'm keeping it underneath a plastic bag, so it might just be concentrated. Otherwise, it seems okay. The liquid is yellowish, thin layers of scum are forming, and so on.

Does anyone with experience with kraut and used buckets know if this has any chance of turning out well, or should I toss the thing out? Is the smell coming from the bucket, or is it safe to assume the vanilla has also tainted the flavor of the kraut?

The strong smell has scared me from doing a taste test, but I've heard that sometimes a batch will smell bad and then die down in a few days. Is that true?

Comments (8)