SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
catsarerathersilly

Using 5 gallon buckets as pots

My family is planning to move soon, hopefully come spring/summer. I had decided to leave my roses here, as I'm hopefully going to move again into my own house in a couple years and I don't have a lot of money to spend on buying huge pots to hold them (they grow fast!). Roses also have to be more babied when in a pot (in my understanding) and my life is about to become much busier.

Recently, however, it occured to me that I have five 5 gallon buckets I used to water my roses that I might be able to convert into pots and carry some of my roses with me (I um, may have admitted to myself that leaving all of them would be hard to do...). My mother also pointed out that we'll be using a lot of 4.5-5 gallon buckets of spackle and thus we'll have more available. I know I'll have to drill a LOT of holes in the bottoms of the buckets for drainage, but I was wondering what you guys thought? Should I drill holes in the sides toward the bottom of the buckets as well? Would washing out the spackle buckets and using them be ok? How will I know when they need to be transplanted into something larger than five gallons? I don't want to plant my roses in the buckets only to have them die, so I figured I ought to ask on here before planning the whole thing out.

I wouldn't transplant them until spring while they're still dormant.

Many thanks!

Comments (15)