SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highalttransplant

Evaluating my first year of canning ...

highalttransplant
15 years ago

As I plan my garden for next year, I'm looking back over my first year of canning to evaluate what went well, and what I will do differently this time.

I started out just planning to make dill pickles and salsa, to use the cucumbers, tomatoes and peppers I was growing, but I got bit by the canning bug and made quite a bit more than that:

13 pts. of Annie's Salsa

5 pts. of Dill Pickles

5 - 1/2 pts of Peach Amaretto Butter

5 - 1/2 pts of Spiced Peach Jam

6 - 1/2 pts of Candy Apple Jelly

5 pts. of Cinnamon Applesauce

6 - 1/2 pts of Carrot Cake In A Jar

I would have made more, but ran out of jars, and couldn't find any in the stores nearby.

The majority of what I made ended up being used as Christmas gifts, and the feedback I got from family and friends is helping me set my course for this year.

So hear is my report card:

Annie's Salsa - Everyone loved the flavor, but my brother and sister would like more heat. I had used sweet peppers in place of the jalapenos because my DH and younger children can't handle spicy foods. So this year, I will make two separate versions - mild and medium. I've purchased seed for some mild jalapenos - Senorita and Pizza.

Dill Pickles - Big hit with DH's boss and my oldest son, except I think the slices should have been a little thinner. I was afraid they wouldn't be crunchy enough, so I went a little thick.

Spiced Peach Jam - Awesome flavor, but didn't set completely. It wasn't as runny as a syrup, but not as thick as the other jams/jellies that I made. I didn't give any of these as gifts, because I was afraid people would think I didn't know what I was doing, LOL.

Peach Amaretto Butter - Not crazy about the flavor the Amaretto added to it. Would have been better without it.

Candy Apple Jelly - The kids loved it, and I wanted to make a second batch, but that was after I ran out of jars.

Cinnamon Applesauce - We used Honeycrisp apples and added just a handful of redhots and some cinnamon to it, and it was the perfect balance of tart and sweet. Will definitely make more than one batch this year.

Carrot Cake in a Jar - This was the sleeper hit! I had asked on this forum prior to making it if anyone had tried it, and no one that responded had tried it. Anyway, I gave all but one jar as gifts, and both my brother and one sister said it was their favorite thing that I sent! Not including the cookies and spiced nuts, of course. I was really surprised. I thought that maybe it was too sweet, but will make it again this year, since it went over so well.

I had fun decorating the jars, and sharing the harvest with friends and family. I just wish I had made more, so that there would have been enough to last us until next summer. Sadly, the salsa is all gone, and there are just a couple of jars of pickles, and peach jam and butter left.

Anyway, I wanted to thank everyone on this forum for their advice and encouragement. I'm sure I'll be back this summer with more ?'s.

Oh, and we just got a brand new dehydrator, and Excalibur 9 tray, that I can't wait to try out. Man that thing is HUGE! My DH likes to make jerky, and I use it for drying peppers and herbs. If anyone has tips or recipes for the dehydrator, I'd love to have them.

Appreciatively,

Bonnie

Comments (12)