SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19691163

Another venting question

User
16 years ago

I didn't want to post this at the end of the other one because I didn't know if it would get answered.

I have never had so much trouble venting as I have the last 2 days.

My Presto manual says to add 3 quarts boiling water to canner, put in jars, lid, and then exhaust air from the canner by adjusting heat to a relatively high setting to obtain a free flow of steam from the vent pipe. Allow to steam to flow for 10 minutes. However, it doesn't say at what point it is free flow. When you put your hand over it & can feel pressure? When it whistles? When it is visible and not just felt?

Yesterday I was making soup, and waited until I could feel the pressure from the steam & then 10 minutes later put the rocker on. It was supposed to be canned at 11 pounds for 75 minutes. However, the pressure climbed to 15 and the rocker never rocked. I turned down the heat & the pressure went down but no rocking. Finally let it go back to 15 and it started rocking. Is that ok? It was chicken soup.

So tonight I wanted to make vegetable soup and vented again for 10 minutes, put the rocker on & it climbed to 11, I turned it down to keep it at 11, and nothing. Let it climb to 15 and still no rocking. I finally just removed the cooker from the burner and will try again when I regain my sanity.

My questions are: 1) At what point do you start timing the venting? 2) Does the rocker have to rock, or can you just keep the pressure at 11 and start the timing there regardless of any rocking?

Comments (22)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County