SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
belindach

Sour Oranges

belindach
17 years ago

I have a friend with several orange trees but the oranges are sour. Any suggestions on what to do with these sour oranges besides compost?

Comments (30)

• Linda_Lou
    17 years ago

I would try a batch of marmalade.

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Yes, if they are Seville types, they make great marmalade. If your wanting them to be growing sweeter, it may be that soil ammendments are needed.

• Related Discussions

New Zealand lemonade trees on US897 and Seville sour orange year 2019

Q

Comments (36)
    Bob I think that most people get to many varieties and burn out on the associate problems and end up quitting. I know of several past people who lost power to their green house and lost 30 to 40 trees. They looked for more trees with advice from us and then left. These trees are expensive. If I decide to quit citrus I will let you all know and why. When I first started I posted a lot with picture and a lot of other people got mad and they let me know in very rude ways. I am still here and Better than 15 of them are gone. It is too bad because they were a real asset to the group Jay We eat them like an orange or mandarin. Gave away 1 each to 4 closest friends. It is well worth growing. I have eaten 45 fruits total from 3 different trees. Steve
    ...See More

Grafting Seville sour orange

Q

Comments (10)
    Mostly from reading. When I was a child we went through a shift of great tasting oranges to so-so oranges as we,ll as bananas. It wasn't till decades later that I learned of Tisteza and realized my youth time coincided with the triteza outbreak. That is when all the sour orange rootstock citrus trees died. The bananas, Kampala were also wiped out by disease and replaced with Cavendish. I did not read about either extinctions until I grew citrus trees. Steve
    ...See More

Sour orange in Phoenix area

Q

Comments (24)
    When germinating Citrus seeds on a small scale, I place the small pots on heavy aluminum baking trays. The trays are on top of the heating mats. To prevent overheating the media there's a thermostat probe embedded deep in the media. I use 1 thermostat per baking tray I've lost seedlings to overheating when the heating mat temperature was unregulated. I also germinatine the seeds at 86° and almost always see the first germination at 7 days. I've never used the moist towel method, as it seems to be an unnecessary extra step. There is less decay at 86° than at cooler temperatures, but avoiding excess moisture is very important, perhaps more important. The purpose of the aluminum trays is twofold, to increase temperature uniformity and to contain any spilt water before it gets to the heating mats
    ...See More

Sour orange seedlings

Q

Comments (10)
    Travis, I'd avoid letting them get too hot or dry, as both can be damaging. As for grow lights, they sell good LED bulbs for cheap and you can get a metal clamp light, or they sell these little clip on LED lights with multiple heads and a 12 hour timer on amazon for really cheap. My kid has had one for the better part of a year and has been growing an avocado seedling, a sageretia cutting, and some tillandsias pretty well under them. It was really inexpensive.
    ...See More
  • Daisyduckworth
    17 years ago

Sour oranges are just perfect for marmalades. But you could try this jam, too.

Orange Jam
    4 large oranges
    1 litre water
    750g sugar
    1 tablespoon brandy

Peel the oranges thickly to remove the white pith, discard the skin. Chop oranges roughly, discarding the pips. Combine orange pulp with the water in a saucepan and cover. Bring to the boil and reduce heat, then simmer for 20 minutes or until pulp is just tender. Measure the mixture and add 1 cup of sugar for each cup of orange mixture. Return orange mixture and sugar to saucepan and stir over heat without boiling until sugar has dissolved. Boil rapidly, uncovered and without stirring, for about 20 minutes or until the mixture sets when tested. Stand for 5 minutes, stir in the brandy. Bottle, seal when cold.

You could squeeze out the juice and freeze it for use in assorted dishes, and you could grate the rind and freeze it, ditto. The sourness won't be noticed in savoury dishes, or, indeed in things like cakes, muffins etc.

Oranges will be sour if the soil isn't fertilised enough, and if the watering is insufficient or irregular.

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Belinda, sour oranges are bad for you. Best bet is to box them up and ship them to me for proper disposal. :>)

• bejay9_10
    17 years ago

The valencia type oranges are sour at this time of the year. A better variety would be the Washington naval types that ripen in the winter.

I have Valencias and they are quite sour now. When we get more heat, they will be very sweet - around June or July - when they are the sweetest.

I wouldn't hesitate to use them for orange marmalade or jelly, but a little sugar added makes them a bit more palatable for drinking straight otherwise.

My experiment with making orange jelly is described in some past postings. It was OK, but I'm still perfecting the home made pectin use made from the peelings. It has merit but needs "fine tuning." I'm also utilizing limes for the same purpose as I have ripe Persian limes dropping now. I freeze a lot of lime/lemon/citrus in ice cube trays for off season use.

Using - especially the frozen lime or lemon juice cubes - popped into summer time fruit juices - berries, apples, pears, etc., enhances the flavor of jellies and jams - so they come in handy for that purpose.

Bejay

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Daisy, that orange-brandy jam sounds excellent. Thanks for sharing it.

I'm assuming "mixture" refers to both oranges and water, correct?

Carol

• belindach
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for responses. She says they are not valencies but just sour oranges. I'm thinking any recipe which uses lemon juice might also work for these oranges? Is there such a thing as sour orange wine?

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Personally I think flavor-wise sour oranges would work well in any lemon recipe. You might even like it better. However, oranges are quite a bit less acid than lemons, so I can think of recipes where oranges could not be substituted with an absolute assurance of safety.

I can't answer the orange wine question. My experience with that is very limited; I know others on the forum have much more expertise. But I do have a recipe for a citrus vinegar and also for orange liqueur.

If you have freezer space, a compound butter with some orange juice and peel would be really good, especially used with poultry and fish. Also orange works well in homemade mustards.

Carol

• spyfferoni
    17 years ago

Sour oranges are used a lot in Carribean cooking. The juice is used in marinades for meat and fish, like you would use lime or lemon juice. I wish I had access to some.

Tyff

• bejay9_10
    17 years ago

On the "YumYum.com" website, there is a recipe for orange jelly. This is the one that I have been using as a "yardstick" for making the citrus jellies from the pectin that I have been extracting from the skins of my plentiful limes at this time of year.

I have been boiling the peelings, then extracting the pectin and freezing it. When I make the jelly, I use this as my guide for making orange jelly. The orange juice mixed with the prepared pectin and sugar is then cooked to jelly stage (220 degrees).

Or could just make the recipe from scratch - but I had a lot of fruit ripening, that I didn't have time for, so wanted to find a way to preserve the pectin and juice - and freeze for later use.

I plan to use some of this frozen peel pectin to enhance the summer time fruits that I make into jams (and which are low in natural pectin themselves).

Sorry can't be more explicit, mainly because I'm still "working in the lab late at night" to perfect its use.

Igor -

er Bejay

• flora_uk
    17 years ago

Are they a bit mishapen, not uniformly pretty orange, thick skinned, thick pithed, very pippy and take the enamel off your teeth? If so they may be Sevilles which are the perfect marmalading orange. They are in season now and I've just had my order delivered. I make one batch in January which will last us all year.

• zemmaj
    17 years ago

Sour Oranges, yummy. By all means, make marmalade, I make 300 jars a year and must order my oranges cos I live in cold country. It takes a while to make really good marmalade but it is well worth the time and anyone receiving a jar will be your friend for life. Alternately, I could help gardenlad with disposal hehehe!

Marie

• belindach
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I have about 100 pounds of sour oranges. I think the first thing I'm going to try is a keylime pie recipe and later a marmalade. A friend tells me marmalade is great on baked or grilled ham or chicken. It does sound good.

Marie, what do you do with that much marmalade. I don't think I have that many friends. *s*

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

A key lime recipe I see is not cooked or baked. Its made simply with lime juice, creamed cheese and sweetened condensed milk. The combination with firm up once its refrigerated.

• belindach
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The keylime pie recipe I use is from a cruise ship. It calls for 1/2 cup of juice, 1 cup of sweetened condensed milk and 5 egg yokes. This is mixed and poured into a graham cracker crust and baked for 15 minutes at 350. The orange juice works fine. It is not as tart as the lime juice. Next time I'll add a couple of drops of red food coloring to make it look more orange and add 1 teaspoon of orange rind. New Name, "Orange Tart" I put up juice today in 4 and 8 oz jars to make about 10 pies this next year. Now I have another 1000 oranges to go. I think I'll try marmalade tomorrow.

• zemmaj
    17 years ago

Belindach

I sell jam in my general store so 400 jars is not so much. I can about 3000 jars a year about now, besides homemade bread, sweets, candies and pastries. I have a friend who used to make it just so she would give it away, she canned it in 16 oz jars so she got around 75 to 100 jars per case. I make it in smaller jars but I have requests for larger jars this year, seems to me that marmalade lovers need it like a drug lol. When I use it, I use it on meat or with meat, melt it and add onions, peppers and spices for a really good orange beef saute (sort of like chinese food). You can also put a spoonful in the middle of a muffin. Tartlets are also good with some marmalade in them. You are lucky to get them for free, they cost 52$ a case this year over here for about 25 lbs. 1000 oranges will give you a LOT of marmalade, I hope you are up for it.

I have a marmalade cutter, which greatly helps the slicing (slices paper thin) but I bought it off of ebay and had it sent from England. If you want, I can post the recipe, or look for a recipe that is done in three stages. First day you cut, pit, slice and mix with water. After 24 hours, you cook the mixture for about 1 hour and let steep for another 12 hours. Last, you cook in small batches, and it is done so much pulp to so much sugar. Don't have the recipe with me but I could post tomorrow, I think.

You can freeze key lime pie, as well as lemon pie and you could make lovely sour orange curd too, and freeze that for nice summer fare, maybe spooned on bread or ice cream, or even strawberries.

I might still suggest giving some away, because unless you have an outlet for all this fruit, you will never see the end of it, lots of people around here make marmalade in small batches and usually don't want a whole case of sour oranges, maybe you should ask around.

Good luck, I am getting my oranges tomorrow so I will be with you in spirit, too bad we are not neighbors...lol

Marie

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

Belinda,
    Have you tried posting on freecycle?

Marie,
    Just out of curiosity (since I only sold jams at our charity fund raiser) about how much do you charge for your jars?
    Melly

• belindach
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Marie, I would love the recipe for marmalade. The recipe I have looks like an all day job. I'll probably give some away and try some juice combos.

Melly, I found the oranges via freecycle. I will give some to a friend but plan on juicing most of them and making orange rind.

• readinglady
    17 years ago

There's always Delia. And if you go to her search bar and enter "marmalade" (sans quotes) you'll get several lovely recipes. Take a look at the "Dark Chunky." That's the one that caught my eye.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Delia's Cookery School - Seville Marmalade

• mellyofthesouth
    17 years ago

Belinda, That is too funny!!
    M

• zemmaj
    17 years ago

Sorry for the delay, here is the recipe. It was given to me by a friend, she is British would you know and makes this very good marmalade. Lots of people in my village rave about it and she is usually very generous with it.

Sue's Marmalade (sour orange marmalade)

Cut sour oranges in 4 and remove pips (save them). Slice oranges very thinly, weigh and add 6 cups of water to every pound of pulp. Soak 24 hours.

Rub preserving pan with lemon. Simmer pulp and pips (in cheesecloth bag) more or less 4 hours or until chips are tender. Turn into a basin , remove pips, let stand 12 hours.
    Weigh and put a small quantity of pulp in a pot. Add 1 1/4 lb of sugar to every lb of pulp. Bring slowly to a boil, than boil rapidly til set.

Notes: This marmalade sets considerably more after a fortnight in the jars. Boil in small batches in heavy bottom pot like pressure cooker.

Can and process in BWB

We made two cases of marmalade so I cannot give you a yield, I had three huge plastique buckets of pulp in water to start with just for my bushel. The amount of sugar sounds like a lot but it is not, it remains nice and sour. It is very popular and people here buy it especially when I tell them it is Sue's recipe.

if you have any questions, just let me know.
    Marie

• zemmaj
    17 years ago

Melly

I sell my jams for $6 to $8 Cnd dollars, for 250ml jars. Smaller jars are expensive and few people want large, except when it comes to marmalade. I used to sell for less when I did the fairs because of no overhead and the customer base is different. My customers right now can afford it. For anyone that heard of it, we have a the Parc Safari that attracts lots of tourists, as well as a golf course and lots of apple orchards, wineries, cider places and three camp grounds. I am much busier in the summer than now lol.

I wish all you guys could visit, be fun to meet all the people I talk to here.

Marie

• belindach
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, I'm going to start on the marmalade today.

• msafirstein
    17 years ago

I've never tasted a sour orange and will keep my eye out in our markets here in Northern IL. Are there any other names besides "Sour Orange" or "Seville"?

Michelle

• ksrogers
    17 years ago

Keep in mind that oranges, like many other fruits are seasonal. During winter months, there seems to be less varieties available compared to late spring trough early fall. Tangelos are a good orange too.

• msafirstein
    17 years ago

I did a search on the forum and google but found nothing on Orange Pips. What is it?

Michelle

• zemmaj
    17 years ago

Hi

Pips are the seeds inside the oranges. Like lemons, sour (or Seville) oranges have lots of little seeds, they are called pips in England. Sour oranges are only available for about two weeks in January, they are also scarce cos most of the market is commercial and around here, at least, you have to order them from the market. They are in now, they came in friday, so if you ask, you could probably get them right now.

Marie

• msafirstein
    17 years ago

Thanks Marie. I thought that pips would be the seeds.

One of two of my favorite markets will probably have the Sour Oranges. My markets are just wonderful and I am amazed at just how much they stock at any given time. I'm due for a market run tomorrow and will see if Sour Oranges are available.

Michelle

• mrgrackle_gmail_com
    17 years ago

Ok, so I found this msg and website because I've got an orange tree in my front yard and it's got a bunch of super sour oranges on it... the only use I've found for them up until this point was tricking my friends into eating them and then watching their expressions. So I started looking up uses for my cache of oranges (there's a bunch!) and I found out I could make marmalade ... woo hoo! I love marmalade. So... I also read here that I could make pectin from the oranges to make other sorts of jellies and jams. How does one go about extracting the pectin from the oranges and then storing it for future use? I googled around and found some recipes for making pectin from apples but nothing specific about oranges...

Could I...
    scrape the white stuff out (that's the pith, right?) retain the seeds from the fleshy part of the fruit and boil all that in a muslin bag or cheesecloth in X cups of water (how much?)...

:)

• readinglady
    17 years ago

Hello Mr. Grackle,

Here's a link to our previous discussion on citrus pectin. Inside the thread you'll find the information you need.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Using and Preserving Natural Pectin