SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ladybarber101

Jacksonville get-together on Sunday June 24th- come join us !

ladybarber101
16 years ago

Jacksonville get-together slated for

June 24th--come join us for a GREAT day!

We will be holding the swap in my modest gardens in the back yard at the following address:

3914 Dalry Drive

Jacksonville, Fl 32246

Everyone is welcome for a day of food, fun and of course plant swapping. Please post if you can come and what you will be bringing with you.. We will be cooking brats and burgers along with some other goodies ...

More details to follow!

HappY Gardening

Donna

Comments (43)

• linda441
    16 years ago

I will be there! Will bring extra chairs, umbrellas, pasta salad and plants (list to be posted later) Look forward to seeing everyone!
    Linda

• corar4gw
    16 years ago

Me Too! Will bring coleslaw, a table, 2 or 3 chairs and plants. List follows --
    1) sml Sago
    1) sml Mex Heather
    1) 4" pot rooted Ivy
    2) 4" pots culinary sage
    Pride of Barbados seedlings - Pink & yellow
    Christmas Cactus - 8) 4 color sets (red, wht, pnk, magnta) 9 single red, 9 single white
    Rose bush "Saratoga" white, needs TLC
    BOP - too big for my little garden
    LOTS of MIL tongue (snake plant), aloe, verigated spider plant, gourd seeds. Let me know what you want. cora

• Related Discussions

Mini get together!

Q

Comments (2)
    It was a blast! Thank you so much for hosting this! I had to leave early, alas, but we enjoyed ourselves very much.
    ...See More

Group get together???

Q

Comments (17)
    Eldys, I was wondering when I'd hear from you on this! Still looking for Gary and Alan out there. Heeeelllloooo?? I'm trying to really fill up the weekend and hoping to get to meet as many of you as I can. Here's some incentive...there was a Whitman tour given by my friend last weekend. Hopefully we too will get to see these in person. Here's a few pics. The first pic was taken by Chris Hind and is of Bill's mangosteen. Not quite ripe but looking oh so tempting! The next is his cherichuela, taken by Warren Condon. This is a mangosteen relative and one of the garcinias that continue to have many names that no two people can seem to agree on. However, for those who have not had the pleasure of tasting one of these golden beauties, I'm hear to tell you it is devine! The inside is like white cotton candy and tastes very similar to mangosteen.
    ...See More

Texas Get Together

Q

Comments (18)
    Okay, gotta ask you, Sharon: spray paint in Amarillo? Good Morning America had a bit I saw on yahoo! about some of their people doing the Route 66 drive and they were in Shamrock and then it showed them spraying painting the buried Cadillacs "GMA". So, maybe you will be here Saturday night? hope so,,,It's not 104 here, don't think we've even broke 100 yet. have fun and we will see you in about a week. Brenda
    ...See More

SS Support Mon. Oct. 18th through Sun. Oct. 24th

Q

Comments (48)
    WOWZA, it's quiet here today. DeeMarie, welcome back. Can't wait to see your pix. Marci posted some for me while you were gone! Raeanne, I would think that right after the first of the year we should start seriously making plans. Maybe sooner? I guess I would ask Maddie to guide us here because who knows. I can't even remember the exact date! I am sending Kingfisher thoughts your way. LOL Today is my Siamese boys birthday. 12 and 10 years old. Boy time has flown. They are out in the livingroom rolling around in the catnip I got them to celebrate with. I will join them with a glass of wine shortly! I love watching them groove on catnip. I lead such an exciting life!!! The pumpkin festival in Keene, NH is this weekend. Our office carved pumpkins to spell out Equine Journal and it will be displayed on the tower at the top of Main Street about 9 tiers up. Keene is trying to break it's own world's record of 28,000 or so. This year we are going for 30,000! Check out the link below. The tower you see here is at the top of the square and is the tower our pumpkins will be on. QOD: My alarm is set for 4am Mon-Fri. and I am usually in bed by 9:30 and 10 is pushing it for me unless I have to. On weekends I try to sleep in which usually ends up being 5:30 or 6! Still it feels good not to have to hear the alarm. Here is a link that might be useful: Keene Pumpkin Festival
    ...See More
  • ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thats way to get things going Linda & Cora Im glad you will be able to make it.. I am working on a list of things I have available for trade and what goodies I can get ahold of..

Keep on signing in and joiing the fun everyone is welcome here..
    Donna

• linda441
    16 years ago

Donna - let's get together on an idea of a surprise door prize!

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

hmm Linda give me a call when you get a chance and we can figure it out...

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wow we need a bum on the list.. Can anyone else make it over to the southside for some un on the 24th?

Cora I emailed you this morning about the door prize...

Happy gardening all
    Donna

• fruitnutgrower
    16 years ago

Hey All.

Just saw your forum and Im interested in joining in. We live very close on southside, so this will be great.
    This is what I can Bring-

Ficus carica (Kadota Figs)
    Hylocereus undatus (Dragon Fruit Cactus)
    Sago Palms (I have two very large sagos in my yard and can get as many little babies as you want.)
    Staghorn Fern (again, I have a large fern in my yard and can bring cuttings.)
    Averrhoa carambola (Star Fruit Trees)

and some other stuff that I will probably find when I clean out my greenhouse:)

I like growing rare and unusual fruits. I have alot of other stuff too, but unfortunatly they are not big enough to propagate. maybe next year:)
    if you have any rare or unusual fruits or plants, I would love to get some.

look forward to meeting everyone.

brian

• corar4gw
    16 years ago

Brian, I predict you will be most popular fellow at meeting!! Maybe you can give me some pointers on getting my staghorn fern to do something besides merely exist. And I LOVE Kadota figs! cora

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brian
    Im glad you decided to post after our email and please feel free to bring anything you want we have plenty of room and I would love to try my hand at a few things..
    OOO are you alergic to crab? Linda if making pasta salad and was thinking of including some crab but we want to be sure its safe for everyone..
    I worked in the garden all day through the rain and wow did it feel good! I really believe its a calming activity well other than running from the heavy rain & lightning...lol Started re-mulching and it looks so much better but yuck I can only fit 8bags of my new mulch in the new car at a time... Uggghh Lots of trips to walmart ( 1.68 per bag red- mulch ) and I think I only need about 10 more trips..LOL Just for the back!
    Well better get my arms are solid red and I am tuckered out. Cant wait to see everyone on the 24th..
    HappY Gardening
    Donna & Family

• fruitnutgrower
    16 years ago

Crab meat is fine. no food allergies here. by the way, will this be a family affair? can I bring my wife and 2 little boys?
    Cora, I grow most of my plants from seeds so the ones I have to trade are relatively small (the ones that didnt get as much TLC, the runts of the litter you could say:) but they are healthy and the ones that got more attention are really growing fast so I think these plants will do the same when someone can give them more attention (do i sound creepy yet? LOL)
    about the staghorn.... I wish I could take credit for it, but I cant. we bought our house from an elderly man a few years ago and he left it behind because it was hanging from a holly tree by a chain and the chain had grown into the tree... not to mention it probably weighs close to 100lbs. Its very impressive. but unfortunaly, the old man never told me his secret. grin.

what can I bring (foodwise) to the party?
    I look forward to meeting everyone.
    brian

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Okay folks looks like we have the makings for a nice swap.. I have a few neighbors/customers who may be stopping in as well with some of their babies to share.. Cora is helping me out with gettig some special surprises together... Thank you again Cora
    Brian your family is welcome to come. My son 10 and daughter 5 will be here and we have a swingset. Just be sure they know to watch for fireants as we are treating but they keep popping back up. As far as what you can bring well what sounds good? I will be serving veggies & dip, Cookies & berry spread, Brauts, burgers, hot dogs...
    Linda where did you go? Havent seen you post..

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have heard from linda and it seems she is having trouble getting into Gardenweb.. The dove ad keeps freezing up her screen but all is well.. I will call her and give her an update.
    Donna

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Brian
    I talked to my landlord at the barbershop today and she has a giant staghorn. She said the only thing she does is cover it with a blanket during freezes and throw a ahole apple/bannana in the center of it once a month or so... Hers would take 4-5 guys to move it if you could get it outta the tree..lol Big Chains..

8 Days until the swap...

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

where did everyone go? Would anyone else like to come we have plenty of room and plants to trade!

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bumping this up on the thread.... 5 days until the swap

• christinemichi
    16 years ago

Hi! What time is your get-together on Sunday? I am in the midst of creating a buttefly garden....does anyone have any of those kinds of plants? I am especially looking for cuttings of Butterfly Bush, clumps of Aster and Bee Balm and purple verbena. I have to offer Purple Passion Flower Vines, White and Lavender Moonvine seeds, Canna Rhizomes...and lots of other stuff.

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Christi
    We really hadnt set a time..lol I Guess we should do that soon! What works forr everyone I have nothing going on so early works or later afternoon is okay too..
    I too am getting a few butterfly areas together so maybe a few things (buddelia purple) could be trimmed...
    Looking forward to meeting you!
    Donna & Family

• kris10powell
    16 years ago

Oh, I want to come... I will have to get out in the garden this week and see what is ready to split... I have some tropicals that I just can keep up with anymore (too interested in butterfly gardening) and if someone will tell me how to take cutting from a staghorn I have a huge one that I dont want. Hubby wont put in a tree for me, said it will break the poor tree. I also have a couple small orchids... I can bring some food too :)

I live South of Tampa but anytime of the day is good for me, I may just come Saturday night and spend the night with a friend :)

Kristen...

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    16 years ago

I will be there! - bringing plants and some kind of food - don't know what yet - is there anything we are short on? (cooler of drinks and ice?)

Carol

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Kristen Glad to hear you can come.. We are welcoming everyone to come.> This is my first swap hear at our home and we are so excited..

Carol so happy to hear from you again. As far as what to bring its really kinda a pot-luck. You are welcome to bring anything you want.. I hadnt realy picked up alot as of yet other than burgers & brauts and dip for chips & ect..

Lets keep it up anyone else wanna come we have plenty of room...
    Donna & Family

• christinemichi
    16 years ago

Hi Everyone- I've just updated my trade list...let me know if there's anything specific on the list that you want so that I can dig it up/bring it on Sunday. (Those of you that don't have a list created yet...could you let me know what you have in case there's anything on there I'm looking for) Donna- I'm definitely interested in your purple buddleia! Thank you so much!! Looking forward to meeting you all. -Christine

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Christine all my goodies are here and I have plenty to share..lol I planted a white butterfly bush today but I dont know how long it will take before I can take cuttings but when I do you are welcome to a few of those as well. I have been out working in the yard all day between rain storms and am a muddy red mess...LOL But the GARDENS ARE LOOKING GOOD! I even have a bloom on my red passion vine (my first bloom)..
    Well I better get back out in the yard for a bit and lay some more mulch.. I have 20 more bags to get down..uggghh
    Happy Gardening
    Donna & Max

• jupiterplants
    16 years ago

I would love to go but my girlfriend just had a baby and we are having a welcoming party for them on the 24 th

Count me in for the next one !

Aunt D`Ann gotta get her baby "fix"

LOL

• fruitnutgrower
    16 years ago

Turning into quite an event. that's great, I will be there and draggin along the family.
    I will bring:
    Ficus carica (Kadota Figs)
    Hylocereus undatus (Dragon Fruit Cactus)
    Averrhoa carambola (Star Fruit Trees)
    and 1 Vanilla Planifolia (Vanilla Orchid)

Stuff I will bring if you let me know you want it:
    Sago Palms (I have two very large sagos in my yard and can get as many little babies as you want.)
    Staghorn Fern (again, I have a large fern in my yard and can bring cuttings.)
    Cannas (orange and white speckled)
    Purple/Yellow Lantana
    Giant Elephant Ears (I got plants and Rhyzxomes)
    Purple Bannana (Ornimental) I think I have a couple rhyzomes...

Stuff Im looking for:
    Fruits and Nuts (especially rare or exotics)
    Rare plants
    or... just anything interesting that strikes a fancy. grin.
    Christine, Im interested in your purple passion flower vine.

we will probably bring a desert.

look forward to it.
    regards.
    brian

• christinemichi
    16 years ago

Brian- No problem I will bring you some passion flower vine cuttings.....Can I have one of your (orange & white)canna rhizomes? And also the purple banana rhizome? (I just googled it and totally fell in love w/ it!! How neat!!) Thank you!! C-ya Sunday!

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I read through and am trying to keep up on who is bringing what and who is comming so Im going to post a re-cap and if I have missed anything or anyone please let me know..

Linda --
    extra chairs, umbrella, plants
    Pasta Salad

Cora --
    Chairs, table, plants
    Coleslaw

Brian & Family
    Plants
    Possibly Dessert

Christine --
    plants

Kristen -- All the way from Tampa
    ( I may have to find a special prize for you )
    Plants

Carol --
    Plants
    Possible cooler / drinks

Karla Where are you???? Are you and the DH going to be able to make it?

A few nighbors will be stopping in as well...

O and probably my mom.. Lindy

I have accuired 2 canopies to set up for shade or shelter for rain depending upon the weather..lol we are in florida right...

Time anyone? what about 11am through 1pm or so???
    Good time for lunch and the heat and rains should hold off through that time...

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Heres the forcast as of tonight for Sunday....

Isolated T-Storms

High
    89°F

Precip
    30%

Wind: S 8 mph
    Max. Humidity: 67%
    UV Index: 10+ Extreme

Sunrise: 6:25 AM ET
    Avg. High: 88°F
    Record High: 96°F (1950)

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

3 days and counting.. Cant wait to see you all here Sunday!

• kris10powell
    16 years ago

I cant wait, I will be ooohing and awing over anything butterfly friendly :)

When I bought this house I inherited alot of pretty tropicals but that is just not what I am into...

I will be bringing:
    1. an unidentified fern, very pretty long wide leavess with spores underneath
    2. some sort of dark green leaf plant similar to a peace lilly but the leaves are long and big...
    3. Pretty orchid that blooms white with purple/pink
    4. Medium Peace Lilly
    5. Plumera (yellow and white flowers)

and whatever else I can fit in the car... If I could dig up these 10 foot birds of paradise and bring those I would...I just wish I knew all the real names of these things.

Would anyone like some seeds, I have been harvesting alot of Milkweed and marigolds plus some others.

• fruitnutgrower
    16 years ago

I'd be interested in your birds of paradise... but 10ft... wow... sounds like you would have to mow them down first. grin.

• linda441
    16 years ago

Hi All!

I was FINALLY able to get on GW without the Dove commercial locking up my computer! So will post quickly before it decides to try it again.
    I wil be bringing:
    Root Reer Plant
    Firespike Cuttings
    Turks Cap Cuttings
    Double Red Hibiscus Cuttings
    Brug Cuttings
    Green Spider Plants
    Orchid Tree Seeds
    Coleus Cuttings
    Yellow Cannas
    Elephant Ears
    I would be interested in getting:
    Star Fruit Tree
    Dragon Fruit
    Vanilla Orchid
    Passion Vine
    Pride of Barbados
    I look forward to seeing everyone and meeting all the new people!
    I also have some LARGE Century plants if anyone is interested and some spanish Bayonet (These will have to be dug up--I don't live far from Donna)
    Linda

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Linda
    Im so glad you are finally able to post.. That dove commercial was definately annoying..lol

I cot have my list compiled yet of everyhing I have but the gardens are looking great after a freshening and some srious weeding time and mulching on wednesday..

Well off to work I go for the day will post tonight.
    Donna

• christinemichi
    16 years ago

Linda- I tried emailing you but not sure if it went through....are you still looking for asparagus fern? I have some if you're interested. Can I get one of your Cleopatra rhizomes?

• fruitnutgrower
    16 years ago

Linda,
    I defiantly interested in your root beer plant and orchid tree seeds.

brian

• corar4gw
    16 years ago

I'm back! with some Honesty (money plant) seeds and a fresh harvest of rain lilly seeds.

Linda and whoever else had them, I'd love a canna rizome or two.

Am so excited! Can hardly wait to see everyone again and meet all the new people. cora

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Cora so glad you made it home safe.. Did your niece keep everything alive for you while you were away...lol We did have a good bt of rain too.

Linda I think I wanna try root beer plant..

Had a good day today at work but still lots to do here so Im gonna go for now...
    Donna

• linda441
    16 years ago

Christi-I will bring some cannas to you I would still like some of the asparagas fern and Purple passion vine if you have enough
    Brian-I will bring you Root Beer plant and Orchid tree seeds--let me know if there is anything else you would like
    Do you have enough Star Fruit Tree and Dragon Fruit? Also Vanilla Orchid and possibly a orange + while Canna?
    Cora--I will bring you some yellow and Cleopatra cannas--I would love some Pride of Barbados
    If anyone needs Hummingbord/Butterfly attractors-I strongly suggest Firespike and Turks Cap
    I Also have the Lime Green and Purple sweet potato vine that I will cut if anyone wants any
    It would be great if everyone would list a "wish list" in case I have something and can't think of it!
    Linda

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    16 years ago

I am SOOOOO sorry, but I am not going to be able to make it tomorrow! It is killing me, because I was really looking forward to meeting you all and talking gardens and plants. I hope you have a wonderful time and I hope to meet everyone at the next one.
    -Carol

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

OO Carol what happened? I was really hoping you would make it to this one...

Linda is having trouble getting on line with this doe commercial again but is still comming..

Cora , Kristen, Brian & Christine.. would any of yo be able to bring along some 2 liters of drinks? I went to the store and forgot drinks.,,,lol Figures wall world and $200 withou getting anything to drink! Well at least they were not busy..

Well Im getting everything together and Im sure I will be working after dark so I may not be able to post again until later..

See you all tomarrow!
    P.S. Im making a few signs for key turning points to help you all find your way..

Parking alongside the street is fine and the driveway should fit at least 3-4 cars.. We dont get alot of traffic on my road..

Donna

• tony_k_orlando
    16 years ago

Donna,

Sounds like you will be hosting a great time up in JAX.

Hope it all turns out perfect for everyone attending.

Be sure to take lotsa pics for those of us that cant make it.

Looking forward to the reports on how it all went and what ya all got.

Tony

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well all is well in the gardens tonight.. Everyone got a nice cool drink of ater, the yard is mowed and most has been attacked by the weedeater..lol Its 10:40 pm and I just came in darn gardening at night in florida is soo easy when its not hot outside..
    Cant wait to see everyone tomarrow and please excuse the unfinished projects around the house as we are still a work in progress but we survived the first year!
    Tony I wish you were closer so you could attend as well.. Thank you for your good wishes!
    Happy Gardening everyone and we will see you Tomarrow!
    Donna & Family

• rollyespolione
    16 years ago

What time is the gathering today? Have some night blooning ceris cuttings to share.

• ladybarber101
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Rollyespolione
    Between 11 to 1or2.. You are welcome to come over.. We are having potluck and lots are bringing plants to share so please come on by and bring a friend...
    HappY Gardening
    Donna