SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buyorsell888

Blooming wrong colors, climate?

buyorsell888
12 years ago

I keep having daylilies bloom red instead of purple and peach/flesh toned instead of pink or lavender and muddy mauve instead of rose.

I'm wondering if it is my climate? I know websites can "enhance" colors but I always look at more than one. I look here too.

Inwood supposed to be creamy yellow, it is flesh toned, all flowers, third year in the garden

Wineberry Candy supposed to be lavender/orchid and it's also flesh toned, all flowers, second year. Always Afternoon sure looks better since I moved it into some afternoon shade...

Catherine Neal supposed to be purple and it's red. Dark red but still red.

Planet Max also supposed to be purple but it is also red

Siloam Merle Kent is mauve, thought supposed to be orchid

Waited two years for Blackberry Candy to bloom and it is also flesh toned...though that is the FFO, not curled back like I expected either.

Janice Brown is peach instead of pink and so is Siloam Double Classic. They are at least a pretty pastel peach not a muddy flesh color...

Final Touch is true pink for me, Indian Giver true purple and Swallowtail Kite is either plum (first blooms) or lavender (later blooms) but they are the only ones in those shades that are true for me.

Raspberry Pixie is also mauve, Trahlyta too though it is really pretty, Lavender Blue Baby is dark mauve like Always Afternoon is above.

It wouldn't matter so much if I wasn't so anal about color combinations but having been a florist for over twenty years I hate clashing colors. I mix my daylilies in and when tones are red instead of purple or orange instead of pink they scream at me across the garden. I have very little red, orange or peach in my garden.

I also thought I was buying very different colors but ended up with a bunch that all look the same.

Just not sure if it is just me or the Pacific Northwest?

Comments (13)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!