SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynne_melb

Question about moles

lynne_melb
15 years ago

Well, I'm having another Florida wildlife experience.

It appears that I have a mole(s) tunneling in my back yard. Of course,it has to be right at the back door, where 16 canine paws and I can track the dirt into the house many times a day. I've searched on the internet and have found only things that don't work for moles. I realize that they can be very beneficial, I just wish it would find a different spot in the yard, or say the hundreds of untouched acres behind my postage stamp sized yard.

I've heard anecdotally that if you keep stomping down the tops of their tunnels, that they may move elsewhere. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Also, can black racers eat a mole? (Wishful thinking)

Last night I was checking the back yard for wildlife before sending my terriers out for the night. I was a little skittish because I wasn't sure where the black racer was. I stomped on the patio before stepping out into the back yard. After I stomped, I heard a hissing sound coming either from the back yard, or outside on the other side of the patio area (not my yard) It sounded similar to a sprinkler head that wasn't working right, but my sprinklers weren't on, and the sound was intermittent. My neighbor's sprinklers weren't on either - it was 2am.

Would moles ever make a sound like that? I assume the black racer can't make a sound like that. Even with a flashlight, I couldn't see the area beyond my yard. Would a raccoon or possum make such a sound? Any other guesses? The area in question has some trees and then slopes down to a pond. Two sides of the pond are surrounded by scrub. Beyond one of the scrub areas, there is construction, so perhaps something got displaced. In this area, deer and a bobcat have been spotted - the bobcat hasn't been seen recently. One of the neighbors swears that he saw a panther, but I don't think it's too plausible. The teenage boys in the neighborhood tell me that there were once rattlesnakes in the neighborhood when an adjoining subdivision is being built. Any thoughts as to what the sound could have been from?

I'm mostly concerned about something hurting my dogs. They are terriers, full of bravado when encountering frogs and lizards. I fear that they could try to take on something that they shouldn't. By the way, I think black racers can bite, would that hurt a 16 pound dog?

Thanks much,

Lynne

Comments (10)