SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alphabravo83

Very Large Area (help needed)

AlphaBravo83
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I realized after spending the last two years at our house tending mainly to the lawn, I've seriously neglected the tree bed shown in the attached picture. Every now and then I've broken out the roundup to go after the weeds, but it's become too much of a time-burden to deal with (not to mention using up the majority of the bottle each time). Within a couple weeks, new weeds have popped up everywhere. Either way, not having anything but bare dirt has allowed for a nice canyon to be carved out by rain water.

The bad news is that the area is approximately 4,000 sqft minus the three trees. There are 12 junipers growing on the lawn-facing side, which I am impartial to (and could move to another area of the property).

This area is mostly/entirely shaded during the summer from the large trees, and during the winter is full sun. I like pachysandra, but that's purely based on aesthetics. At around $1/plant that gets really expensive. I'd like to put down something that has that kind of leaf and color, but I know I'm getting really specific, so I'm open to anything!

I have three objectives I'm looking to solve:

1) Provide enough ground-cover to crowd out most of the weeds.
2) Erosion control from the run-off on my neighbor's property coming from the right hand side of the photo towards the trees.
3) Try not break the bank by covering such a large area.

I am hoping you kind folks may be able to offer some suggestions. Any ideas would be very much appreciated...

Thank you!

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars29 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus