SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
teapot100_gw

Need (very)low-budget dining/living area help

teapot100
12 years ago

We bought this 70s split-level ranch last year and haven't done much to the place aside from pulling up the wall-to-wall carpet in the living/dining area. Fortunately, under the carpet lay hardwood flooring. Unfortunately, it was not in the best shape, especially in the dining area.

This is a shot of the dining area. You can see the door to the deck in the upper left corner of the space complete with vinyl flooring that matches the kitchen.

We've added the midcentury modern hand-me-down credenza to the space under the black typography painting you see there since the top photo was shot.

OK! So that's what we have to work with! Here are the things that I've been considering and I need help with more ideas or fleshing out of these:

FLOOR: the space needs something on the floor until we can refinish the hardwood because it is embarrassingly bad-looking. It always looks dirty even though it isn't and very shabby. We need a low-budget solution for this. Our kids are 7 and 11 and we have a small-med dog so what kind of rug might work here?

WINDOWS: The window treatment is a big UGH. I like the fabric, but I should have just bought another blind to go over the window so that there would be more continuity with the living room blinds. And then what about the windowed door? What sort of treatment would look good there?

CEILING FAN/LIGHTING: And what to do about the ceiling fan? Is it worth it to keep it up? We live in New England where it's cold in the winter and can get hot and humid in the summer. I'd rather have a nice pendant light there, but I wonder if I could do something to the ceiling fan blades or even change the lamp on this?

Here's a shot of the living area to give you an idea of what else we're working with here:

Our style is of the hand-me-down/thrift-store/yard-sale/recycling center/half-finished-slipcovered variety. I guess it's somewhat eclectic, but the living room space looks more beachy/shabby-chic-wanna-be while the dining area is more MCM. What can I do to marry the 2 spaces together since they flow into each other?

Comments (16)