SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
simplepleasures496

Houseguests don't get it...

simplepleasures496
15 years ago

What do you do when you have houseguests that don't understand the green way of living?

We've been in our house for a little over 2 years now and have transferred everything outside to organic. We've done many of the simpler green changes like changing our light bulbs and putting appliances on switches so they aren't always on standby. We've also gone over a year and a half without using our heatpump for A/C or heating and sold off our dryer because the clothesline makes much more sense in so many ways.

What I don't get is when we have houseguests, they refuse to understand or even listen to anything we tell them about how we live, all of which have been forewarned about our lifestyle before they decide to come stay with us.

For example, our latest houseguests first words when she came through the door, "Can I use your washer and dryer?" First of all this seems rather odd since they were coming from home which is about 6 hrs away and were only staying for the weekend...what in the world needs to be washed already? We told her it'd be fine, but she'd have to hang her clothes to dry since we don't have a dryer anymore. You would have thought she saw a ghost. Then they complain about how hot it is inside (for the record it was 76 inside), but keep the door wide open while standing in the doorway talking when it's 90+ outside and are constantly running the oven, hair dryers, and other heat producing devices. The exact opposite happens during the winter while they're standing in front of the fridge with the door wide open..."Brr...it's so cold in here." The list goes on and on, like McDonald's for breakfast every morning even when I've taken the time to cook bacon, eggs, grits, toast, etc.. This brings styrofoam and plastics into the house which we can't recycle and after telling them multiple times that *all* forms of paper go in the compost bin, I'm still digging tons of paper out of the trash can. The same goes with plastic bottles and aluminum cans. We have a bin right next to the trash can for recyclable items which we've gone over what types of items can be placed there multiple times, yet I'm still digging stuff like this out of the trash. It's almost like they're robots trained to throw everything in the big white trash can without thinking about where it goes from there.

I don't expect them to change overnight, or even change anything with the way they go about their lives outside of my home, but when they're in my home I expect them to give me enough respect to follow the rules of my house. At least give it an honest attempt. I respect them and their rules when I visit and do my best to blend into the atmosphere without displacing my morals, so why don't I get the same respect when they visit?

Many times I've felt the "green" movement is starting to make a difference, even if everyone only makes minor adjustments, it makes a major change in the big scheme of things. However, when people like this visit, I get the feeling it takes multiple "green" households to offset a single non-green household. Don't get me wrong, many of my family and friends have made adjustments after talking to them about how we do things, but these select few seem to be trying to push us away from green living because of their "it's just not right..why suffer like this when you don't have to" type of attitude.

I'm sorry for the rant, this is just something that's been bothering me for a while, so it turned this long time lurker into a poster. How do you think I should go about dealing with these guests? I would tell them they're not welcome if they're just going to complain, but since they're in-laws, I don't think that'd go over well with my wife.

Comments (16)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions