SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
smlechten

Help I can't get rid of my lambs ear and I really don't like it.

smlechten
18 years ago

It appears that the lambs ear that I inherited is truly indestructible. I've hoed the bed, dug out the lambs ear with a shovel, and rotatilled carefully around my Blue Star Juniper that I do like, yet I cannot stop the lambs ear from coming back. It's like that camp song about the cat ... I'd like to try to save my Juniper (which aren't doing great from neglect and being choked to death by that lambs ear). Any suggestions? I hate to get rid of a plant that is obviously easy to grow, mature, and oh-so happy ... but I'm not enjoying it. It gets kind of mushy and moldy looking to me in late spring and fall. The bed is in full sun, we have a dry period mid June through late August. Does anyone think I'd be better off letting the lambs ear have that bed, and try to transplant (or replace) my poor choked juniper? Is there something I can do to keep my lambs ear under control and nicer looking so I don't have to waste it? The new re-growth seems to look nicer than the old plants, but I'm not sure for how long. I have some Geranium Patricia with hot pink flowers that I could put into the bed with the lambs ear, so the hot pink flowers and silver lambs ear may be more appealing together - but I was really hoping to transplant my Japanese Spirea into that bed to hide the electrical box. The Geranium and lambs ear are both low to the ground and don't hide it very well. Would the Geranium survive with lambs ear, or be choked out, if I went that route? Thanks for your help. I'm just learning what I have and what to do with it, I'm brand new at this gardening stuff.

Comments (18)

Sponsored