SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Do you have a plant budget and how do you track?

There is a thread over on the Cacti & Succulents Forum that got my attention. It is a discussion about plants/gardening budget and tracking purchases. I started gardening in 2001 or 2002 and started trying to keep track in 2009. I use a pretty rough spreadsheet and don't always remember to update it. I try very hard to keep my spending under control. I have a few buying rules, too... and sometimes they get broken. One rule is that I don't purchase anything I already have and can propagate. I've gotten better at propagation. Another rule is to keep striving for more perennials. Anything that doesn't make it through the winter does not get repurchased and planted. Another rule is don't buy anything else that I know has to go into a pot because it will otherwise not make it through the winter. I am already dragging far too many pots in/out/in/out/in/out/in/out all winter long! :) That is the rule that still gets broken. Regularly. And the last rule is, if I come across an interesting plant and think I might like it, and can easily return to the store and buy it, I go home and research it first to see if it will work in my garden. I learned this lesson/rule the hard way. Walmart and other stores bring in quite a few plants that are not even close to hardy in my zone and I used to be such a sucker for those plants in early spring! I have learned to check first before I buy, especially if it is a store I drive past frequently.

How do you keep track of what you spend?
How do you keep track of what plants you buy?
How do you keep track of what plants you have?
Do you throw all caution to the wind?!
Is your philosophy "Life is too short to track such things"?! {{gwi:387657}}

Carol in Jacksonville

Here is a link that might be useful: Cacti Forum - How much do you spend?

Comments (9)