SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
orto_jardin

How do you plant your trees ? Do you excavate 'luxury pits' ?

orto_jardin
14 years ago

IÂve been reading several kinds of "instructions" or better advice in planting fruit trees, but no one was similar to the other.

Both in books and web ,I found I found contradictory methods so I would like to ask you , on this web I do appreciate ,

How do you plant your fruit trees ? Do you follow the traditional tree planting literature and excavate large, deep Âluxury tree pits ? Or do you think that a pit wider than the spread of the tree roots and deep enough to break through the compacted pan should be dug immediately prior to planting , is enough ?

I increased my deepest doubts reading in this interesting website:

www.thornhayes-nursery.co.uk

" The excavation of large, deep Âluxury tree pits and the addition of large quantities of organic material can severely damage soil structure and create drainage sumps, particularly in heavy clay soils and high rainfall areas.

The result is that autumn/winter planted trees sit in a soggy mess until late spring or early summer.

As a result they die or become diseased, before they have a chance to grow away.

Such pits should not be used, although they are recommended in most traditional tree planting literature.

If trees survive planting in a luxury pit they often do not form extensive roots beyond the pit.

This results in an unstable tree that may well blow over in a storm 5Â10 years after planting..

"Pits dug in advance fill with water and thereby damage occurs to

the soil structure. If soil structure is good, disturbance during planting should be minimized and a system similar to forestry Ânotch planting

used with small trees. The only soil improvement should consist of relieving compaction and removing large stones. No organic material

should be dug in. A slow release fertilizer may be useful in the backfill on poor soils. Large areas of planting can be improved by heaving

and ripping the dry soil in late summer/early autumn with a subsoil plough or mole plough.

As I planted only a few trees 3 years ago , before planting again I am trying to clear my mind and choose the best way !

All the best and thanks !

orto_jardin Tuscany

Comments (20)