SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
randy_ritchie

red tip coco plum as small tree

Randy Ritchie
14 years ago

Morning all. It's been quite a long time since I've been here. Life, illness, out of town visitors, etc.

I live in a rental house with a row of red tip coco plums planted by the landlady next to the patio. The area between the patio and fence is only about three feet wide. She put the coco plums right by the fence, and then planted some flowers, a gardenia, and an hibiscus in front of them, alongside the patio. My dilemma is this: She didn't understand the space limitations and the nursery sold her way too many plants for the area. I can't just rip out her plants, but trimming this mess is really not much fun for me. So, I'm considering trimming the lower branches of the coco plums (might be 3 years old total), to make them small, multi-stemmed trees, rather than the usual shrub rows typically seen in south FL. That way the lower plantings in front, closest to the patio, can still be preserved, and give the desired privacy. Will this work? Landlady is supposed to maintain the lawn and outside landscaping, but hasn't been here in almost a year, so it's all fallen on me, which is a real challenge, due to health and mobility issues. I hope this will work. Input?

We lost the one hibiscus she planted. I think it was a HD plant. I need to replace it once I get these coco plums under control. Might one of the smaller-growing crotons work in this situation (Oh Ricky, where art thou?)

Thanks for opinions, peeps.

girlsaylor

Comment (1)