SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
springlover_gw

Gardenia has high pH in October what do I do?

springlover
13 years ago

Hi, I am new to the site & growing a Gardenia. I picked up a Gardenia Augusta recently. At first it was outside and I had to deal with aphids, I think (small purplish grey bugs. I live in S.W. MI so now I have brought the plant inside, after treating with a spray & keeping it in the garage to see if the bugs were under control. I think it has gone through the normal enviro. shock change because a lot of the leaves in the center of the plant turned yellow and fell off. I have tried to read as much as possible to figure out on how to care for this plant. I recently checked the pH and found it was over 7.0 around 7.3-7.5. I understand that it needs to be between 5.0-6.0 to be happy. I purchased some MG Azalea plant food (acid fert.) after reading diff. articles. I gave it the right dosage last week and it still has a pH over 7.0, maybe higher in some areas. I need to say that the plant has new growth in several different locations and it seems to have stopped the yellowing and losing of leaves. I am trying to watch the watering and it is next to a south facing window. Back to the high pH since then I have tried a little bit of left over coffee, some grounds and vinegar and to gal of water this week to try an lower the pH. I have hard well water so I figured the vinegar might work, but it is still around 7.3-7.5. Should I still keep trying to lower the pH even though it is October 20th because my understanding (from articles)was that it won't survive with such a high pH. The MG says every 2wks to apply do I reapply? Even though I know it is not the growing season or just let it go or lower the pH? Is the pH important this time of the year? And how and with what frequency can I apply something to get it to a healthy pH? It is also still in the same plastic pot form the store, It sounded as though I should wait to transplant I was thinking in the spring or should I now? I noticed some more aphids(maybe) also this week on one leaf that I wiped off and now I am contemplating taking the plant outside in the sun to spray again to avoid infestation of all my indoor plants and the rest of that plant, which looks healthy. Thank you for any advice in advance.

Comments (6)