SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
highergroundgardens

Unfnished Compost = High pH & Potash levels?

I recently put together some container gardens and the soil test came back showing a very high pH level (7.8) and very high levels of Potassium. The container mix was 1/3 compost, 1/3 peat moss, 1/3 perlite with small amounts of organic fertilizer & azomite (about 1/2 the recommended rate). I did a diy pH test on the compost with vinegar and it bubbled a lot. The pH level of the compost must be very very high, considering that with even the large amount of peat moss that was used didn't acidify the pH level to something more neutral.

The compost that was used came from a local company that compost yard waste (wood chips, grass, leaves, etc). When we received the compost (about 3 yards worth) it was still very hot, well into the 140's. Even the compost that didn't get used that has been sitting in a pile for about a month is still so hot, at least 130 degrees. So obviously the compost isn't done, but when it finally completes cooking (perhaps in 3-4 months at this rate?) it should reach a more neutral pH level.

My question is whether or not a more neutral pH level will also be naturally reached by the compost mix that is already in the container, or if the pH will stay the same due to the fact that the compost has been mixed and is no longer cooking? Also, regarding the high levels of Potash, is that also something that could be caused by unfinished compost? I know eventually it will leach out of soil, but is there any better solution?

Comments (8)