SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fagopher

Off topic... Neighbors!!

fagopher
13 years ago

It is probably the wrong forum but I needed to vent. I have read in this forum many posts about plants for privacy so you don't see your neighbor... While I do understand and appreciate the need for privacy, I never though of this as big deal.. until now!!!

We are getting a puppy in the next few weeks, and we are doing some changes in the house to better fit it for the puppy. One of the changes is fence! Well, as I like do things on my own (and at the same time save some money) I decided to install it myself. Since I am no expert, I am doing as much research as possible. I got the city permit and everything I can think of (except my neighbor).

I started measuring the property lines... No big deal, is not a farm or similar so it is juts as easy as read the survey and measure the land around the house... right?

Well it turned out that my neighbor planted some bushes right on the property line and some even crossing it (so it means... In my property). Normally I would not complain, I do like plants and I wish more people plant more. I personally planted some bushes on both sides of my property, close to the line but never on the line! Anyway.. still no big deal! probably was a mistake.

So, I marked the property line as conservative as possible (as not no go over the other side), I guess he noticed it and later approached me to give me a heads up. "I cannot install the fence on the drainage", I know every property (at least every new house in normal communities) have a drainage area so the water can flow! and I know owners cannot install/build anything that blocks the water on top of the drainage area but a fence.. Well, still a good heads up, so I called the city and asked if this was the case. As I was thinking, I am allowed to install it on the property line. Of course I want to give a couple of inches inside my side (just to be on the safe side).

Having said so, to install the fence some of the plants probably need to be moved, so I approached him again, I wanted to be a good neighbor and make sure he is ok with the measures. He said he already talked to an attorney and a survey guy, he was asking me to pay for a new survey... I asked him to check his survey and I showed him mine, we measured the spaces and I showed him I was being conservative..

So far everything seems to be ok and he initially agreed, but he wanted to be there when I do the installation (I have no issues with it, and I event offered help to move the plants).

My question is what was he thinking? that I would install the fence 5 ft inside from the property line, basically giving up that area? How come he planted bushes on the property line and some even on my side and I did not complain?

I hope everything turns out to be well and we don't spoil the good relationships, but if I get more issues, I will hire people to install it and I don't care if they have to damage the plants that are crossing the line. I think I am on my right to do it as long as it is my property side. I feel I did everything possible to do things right but I want it to be fair with me as well. I mean, I wish he had installed the fence first as it would have saved me money but he did not... so what is the deal, I though he would be happy!

is there something I need to be aware before starting to install it so I don't get more issues?

Sorry for the long post!

Comments (23)