SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomhoffman_gw

Dogs, What would you do? (Off Topic)

tomhoffman
15 years ago

Excuse me for interjecting an off topic post, but I feel I need to reach out and get some diverse advice from another quarter.

My wife and I moved to a Cabin on a river in E Iowa. It is a rather rough primative place and what you might call a red neck haven. I fit right in...

Our nearest neighbor is a conviced sex offender, and so is well know to the Sheriff's dept. Last year he brouht a Black Lab to his place and staked it out and proceeded to ignore the dog. The dog started barking and most of the time barked - it seemed - 24/7 of course I realize once something or someone gets on your radar, it is really hard to forget about it as the irritation just grows and grows.

Over the winter the dog was absent. About 4 weeks ago, it was back with a second dog. These people are gone most of the time days and nights, the dogs are left staked out in the yard to do nothing but bark at everyone and every sound.

One of them got off the chain a couple of days ago and made very threatening moves toward an elederly neighbor lady next door to my place.

The area where we live is unincorporated and the camp ground is privately owned. All the people in this greek tradgedy so far live here 365 days around everyone else just comes and uses their cabins on the weekends.

Finally it got so bad last night, I called the property owners and was told that they were trying all legal remadies to get the people and the dogs gone. I called the Sheirff's dept and they they sent out a Deputy for about the 10th time. This time, I was here and we walked down the hill to look at the problem in the dark. While doing so his flash light picked up one of the dogs that was loose and closing on us fast. He yelled at it and it stopped, he got out mace and approached it and it cowed down. He turned back to me and the dog ran around him and came to me and I just opened the door to my greenhouse and let it in. Since it had no collar and was running loose, I asked him what to do with it. He told me to just shoot it and get rid of it. I had wanted to do that many times over the past months, but had no shells.

I said why don't you just load it into the trunk of the cruiser and re locate it to a better neighborhood. That gave him and idea, he called a farmer friend and asked it the farmer was still looking for a nice lab. I really was a nice dog. About a year old male and in good shape. Friendly too. So we slipped a string around its neck and loaded the dog into the cruiser and half my problem is gone.

Now what do I do about the other one. The Sheriff wount do anything and the owners of the property wount do anything either and the owner of the dog continues to do it just to tick everyone off.

I am stumped...

Thoughts please

Excuse the rant.

Comments (20)

Sponsored
More Discussions