SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tomncath

Which to put on my arbor, Queens Wreath or Skyvine, and why?

tomncath
14 years ago

So, Cathy wants color and permanence on the arbor so it will no longer be a veggie arbor. Which should we put on the arbor and why? I know the Skyvine will fill in quickly and is supposed to flower most of the year, but the Queen's Wreath is very spectacular. How often will it flower in Zone 10?

Tom

{{gwi:119476}}

{{gwi:119473}}

Comments (45)

• gardenbear48
    14 years ago

My Queen's Wreath here in Melbourne Z9B bloomed only twice the first year, but last year it bloomed 4 times! I pruned new branches down to 2 nodes after every blooming cycle and it really seemed to encourage the next bloom. I was worried about this winter's cold snap (several nights down to 28 degrees). The leaves looked a little raggedy but it came back with a vengeance and is having it's best bloom ever as I write this!

• manature
    14 years ago

I have tried blue sky vine thunbergia three times, Tom, and lost every one of them to freezes, including the one that actually grew for 2 years first and was enormous. And they didn't come back. Ever. *sniff*

Haven't tried Queen's wreath, but it is sure pretty.

Good luck!

Marcia

• Related Discussions

Rose suggestions for this Gate Arbor

Q

Comments (8)
    Thanks, hoovb, I think I will keep him! And thanks for the suggestion. I had ASG at my previous home but it was more bush-like, though I have heard there are two versions--one of which throws off long canes. It definitely is a rose to have here. It was hardly ever without blooms. Unfortunately, I failed to root a cutting before moving though I got copies of most everything else. May see one at the Texas Rose Rustlers' fall cutting exchange. Below shows the panels that match the gates. The first day we built it, a little bird checked out each little house in hopes of a new home. Poor little girl!
    ...See More

Do you have pictures of your flowering arbors?

Q

Comments (25)
    aroidgardener ~ What lovely arbors and I look forward to seeing what you grow over these. I love the courtyard area and know it will look great as you continually work on it. It's exciting and I can't wait to see the during and after pictures. Jenfm ~ That was a favorite picture of mine when you posted it before. Really Florida! Laura ~ Prosperity roses are one of my favorites. Those were great covering that arbor. Lellie ~ sorry a storm took your passion flower vine covered arbor down. Hope you get something you like to replace it soon. Felix ~ Love that wisteria. I can't grow it down here, but have a St. Lilac vine that I hope will be just as beautiful, and I also have a Queen's Wreath that I'm looking forward to blooming. Lisa ~ Oh my gosh! That is just beautiful!!!! I have a baby Queen's Wreath. Got it as a 6" rooted cutting from D'Ann a couple of years ago. This year it's about 2' high. I can hardly wait to get the first blooms and hope it's sometime soon. Please take a picture when it's covered like you said it gets at it's peak. Pretty please, with sugar on top. ;-) Does anyone know how long before I'll have blooms? Great thread, great pictures. FlowerLady
    ...See More

Queen of the Month- Part Deux

Q

Comments (100)
    Greetings once again from the Queen of May. The Good Queen Mother, Queen of March, AKA Treesa, sends her Tidings of Welcome to Deni, Queen of June. Her Highness bids you a most wonderfully enjoyable month and regrets that she is unable to post her welcome message herself because she also is suffering from computer difficulties which prevent the site pages from loading. In her letter to me she related how her beautiful backyard has become a pond, thanks to what seemed like endless rain through our dear state of SC. We were treated by Mother Nature to a straight week of rain before our annual steam cooker summer heat really kicked in. On the positive side, those rains eliminated the need to water potted plants three times daily. A week's break from that was welcomed, though it did not allow any much needed planting to be accomplished. The Queen of May still owes Thank You notes to the Queens mentioned in her previous post. She is still in a whirlwind of kid shuttling and limited in her computer time. She has not forgotten any of you.
    ...See More

Looking for Viking Queen

Q

Comments (25)
    Summer, I have the 3x6 bed for 6 Perditas, then 6 more... And these are grafted which go 6" below dirt level and DAR own root which go to China and back... So at least 22" deep! Oiy!! Insanity hits when you are 65 and getting back issues from digging. That means you dig more. I don't get that part... :)
    ...See More
  • babalu_aye
    14 years ago

I don't know about the Queen's Wreath, but the Sky Vine would cover your pool cage unless you keep up with it weekly.

I had one I planted to grow on a privacy fence, which in one season covered the fence, got up into the 25 ft avocado tree and shot to the top, then into the neighbor's overhanging live oak. After two seasons I'd had enough and removed it, then spent the next 2 or 3 years pulling up new shoots that came up from roots that had spread about 15 ft from where I originally planted it.

They're awfully pretty, but be careful!

John

• amberroses
    14 years ago

Queen's wreath is kinda woody and doesn't take off very fast. Maybe that is what you are looking for or maybe not. It blooms when it feels like it:) I would say at least twice a year, but sometimes more. The flowers do last a while and it looks very pretty. I haven't tried the Sky Vine. Have you considered other options? Bleeding heart vine maybe?

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the input folks, I'm leaning back toward the Queens Wreath but how often does it bloom? Year around? Only spring and summer?

Tom

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

The ones (queen's wreath) around here seem to bloom throughout the year. I've just gotten my first blooms from one I started from cuttings, but I've admired others around town, which is why I've started it on 2 sides of the house. Seemed to take a while to get going, but it was just a tiny cutting, and the winter did not help. But going strong now.

• annafl
    14 years ago

Tom, my vote would be with Queen's Wreath. However, I have not had the blue skyvine. I do see it at my neighbor's and it climbs way up into the banyan tree very quickly each year and almost overtakes it. I think it would swallow up your arbor and might be hard to control, but that's just my gut feeling. It truly is pretty and blooms a lot. I think the QW might be the kind of vine that gets better with age. Mine has just gotten to the age where it is blooming more. It bloomed in February and is blooming again now. In between it had only the boring green leaves. Last year it had three blooms. When it blooms it looks great for about two weeks, and nice for about another week. I think the ones at Selby bloom more often, but I'm not sure. I think trimming the ends encourages this, is my impression. We are all learning together on this one, and I think another year will tell for me. This vine is very well behaved. It will get full, but will not overwhelm your structure. It will have lots of down time, though. What doesn't? Plant other things nearby that will give color at other times is the solution!

Anna

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

Hi
    QW is runaway my favorite vine. Have two remaining one kept at about15x15 the other as an umbrella standard. They flower intermittanantly throughout the year with spectacular displays in spring and fall. One has been planted since 1982 and has yet to have a bad habit lol
    If you want to really hunt you can get it in white as well as a double flowering type .Flowers being two shades of purple magenta. Neither did as well for me as the lavender .
    I removed my sky vine because it was impossible to keep up with the growth and it also runs but you can stop that by planting in a large pot sunken in the ground. They would be fantastic where you had a lot of room with an overhead arbor where the racemes could hang down.. You can also get it in white ,picotee blue and white as well as a pink but have never seen the pink locally.
    If you REALLY wamnted to be adventurous either of the spectacular Jade vines or a New Guinea trumpet vine but they have a lot of serious faults But wow they are spectacular!!! gary

• katkin_gw
    14 years ago

The true light blue sky vine is the one that runs away, at least for me. The darker blue almost purple one is still agressive, but easier to control. For me both came through the cold just fine, but I am south of you and by the coast which was warmer. :o)

I also think there might be more then one QW as some appear pale in color and others are really bright.

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

I think Tom MacCubbin put it best when it comes to vines:
    "Today the arbor, tomorrow, the world!"

Just like tree selection, vines should be considered as 'right vine for the right space'.

As you know, I have skyvine on my fence and have not had a 'running' issue from the ground level. Now, the upper level is another story....I've had to keep it from eating my citrus trees many times and in July, I seem to question if SkyVine is worth it?

It does require some regular trimming to keep it within bounds, but I have not had it pop up several feet away. I find it you keep the base of the vine clean-cut with no suckers that helps to control it.

But, seeing the space you are targeting for a vine, I would be reluctant to plant SkyVine. It may end up requiring more maintenance to keep it in control than is worth it.

Queens Wreath can grow to 40-ft unless it's controlled and only blooms in the spring. It a beautiful plant, however. Once established, you may have to trim it with a chainsaw (similar to wisteria).

Have you thought about Coral Honeysuckle? It is very well-behaved and a native, however, it blooms several times a year once established.

You could mix the Coral Honeysuckle with different colored Morning Glories until the Honeysuckle is established and maybe even add some Moonvine so you can view and smell blooms in the evening.

Also, sometimes, it's nice to have a freeze that will nip your vine back. My SkyVine is currently very well behaved after the freeze this year! ;-)

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow, lots to think about.

The trumpet vine looks great, I wonder how easy it is to control, if it attracts hummers and if it blooms year around? Anyone have this?

I just don't want Coral Honeysuckle but the Morning Glories are a possibility because they do bloom year around here, perennial - first time for frost this past season after 15 years here and it didn't knock the MG back at all because it's so close to the water.

Tom

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

And, as long as I'm looking at other possibilities, what about Garlic Vine. Anyone have this one?

Tom

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

With Trumpet Vine, you will have the same exact challenges as with SkyVine. Unfortunately, it has a tendancy to conquer everything within it's reach as well. So does Flame Vine, if you recall, it's the one that I have in a large pot close to the house and is getting ready to bloom!

It seems that the more exotic and beautiful the vine, the harder it is to control.

Do you like any of the Allamanda vines? They seem to be easier to control and would look great mixed with Morning Glory vines.

Two books that have good sections which address vines in Florida are, "Florida Top 10 Garden Guide" - Sunset Publishing and "Florida Gardener's Guid" - Tom MacCubbin Georgia Tasker. Both books are my first stop for vine info.

• gardenmagic40
    14 years ago

My Queen's Wreath is fully covered right now and is so beautiful. I trim it back after each flush of blooms. Last yeat it re-bloomed several 4-6 times then rested in the winter.
    I do not find it hard to keep in bounds on my umbrella trellis.
    I wish I had room for another....maybe I do....
    I grew a Sky Vine-Thumbergia erecta- and it got totally out of hand,but I was fairly new at gardening and didn't want to cut anything back. I vote for the Queen's Wreath.Mine is 2 3/4 years old and bloomed the first year like crazy.
    Good look with your choice.
    The little black grasshoppers that turn into the huge Lubber
    grasshopper are in the garden right now and young enough to have results if you choose to use a chemical.

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

Hey Tom,

Have you considered climbing roses, like Joseph's Coat (or other?)? Or, are roses too high-maintenance? With systemics available for roses, you can pretty much eliminate the need to spray.

I'm sure some of the rose experts out here (definitely, NOT me!) can offer some suggestions. It might be a good controllable option for that small area.

And, any vine you select will require maintenance as well. Just a thought....

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone, the decision has been made. Mama wants Queen's Wreath in the back...fairly well behaved and blooms frequently enough to enjoy almost year around.

saintpfla - the Skyvine won't go to waste, we love it too, and the morning glories will continue to be in the veggie garden as well....

Tom

• junglegal
    14 years ago

Tom,

I just bought a gorgeous queens wreath from Crowley, you may want to pay him a visit unless he is going to be at the greenthumb. I paid $50 for a large 10 gallon. It looks spectacular right now, covered in blooms. The bees adore this vine. He told me it would attract hummers too.

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

Queens Wreath is a beautiful vine! I can't wait to see the pictures! :)

• fsubunnee
    14 years ago

Never had Queens Wreath, but love sky vine...fast grower.

Tom, I like your set up...if you have time, maybe you can tell me about it. Are those buckets for vegies? what do you grow? what is your watering system?

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Brenda - how big are they? And, are the prices reduced at the festival? Silvia said they had large ones at Knox for $35, bigger than the one in her picture.

FSU - I container grow most of my veggies. What you see is a reverse experiment of the bottom watering systems. Instead of wicking water into to mix I have holes at the bottom of the bottom container to wick water out of the top bucket and into the wicking cup in the bottom bucket, to drop the Perched Water Table in the mix so the mix will completely dry out thus allowing roots to occupy 100% of the mix in the top container. It's an attempt to cut down on the amount of soil mix I have to make and at the same time provide a conduit for additional oxygen to get to the root zone. It works fairly well but does require close attention to watering as the mix will dry out quickly. I've been hand watering, currently attempting to use bottom buckets with holes higher up on the sides such that the bottom bucket is water reservoir wicking water into the mix, but so far I'm not impressed. While watering is significantly reduced the plants just aren't growing as well as the other way around. Bottom wicking just might not work well with Al's mix but it's also been a bad year weather-wise for me so perhaps it's just too late where I am to have restarted the garden after the frost but only time will tell. I'll give the bottom watering buckets another chance before calling it quits and going back because I really would like to conserve water if possible. If I have to go back to the other system I'll install some lines and a water timer.

Tom

• junglegal
    14 years ago

Tom,
    Mine is not quite as big as Silvia's. $35 is a great price if Knox isn't too far away! I'm not familiar with that nursery.

I bought mine at the Tropiflora spring sale. I'd say no, he does not discount at the sales. He brought 2 and I snagged the best specimen. I must have had ten people approach me about it before I got it loaded in the truck! BTW, he told me the best fertilizer to use on it was the red dynamite brand.

• sharbear50
    14 years ago

Tom, I love your setup, very professional looking. What a great place to plant flowering vines. Does anyone have pictures of the Queens Wreath? I don't think I know what that looks like. :(

• gcmastiffs
    14 years ago

Here is mine, last year. This year I see a HUGE cloud of purple blooms when I look out my front window. It is much better this year. Liked the cold, no problems!

A great vine! Also called Sandpaper vine because the leaves are rough and gritty to the touch.

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful:

• saldut
    14 years ago

Thanks for posting the pic, Lisa.. that is one gorgeous vine ! Can you tell me, does it grow in a large pot ? and how much sun does it require ? if it is a good fit, I have just the spot for one... Thanks, sally

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I went by Kirby's in Seffner today and bought the last two plants they had. Not the most spectacular right now but I did want two, one for each end of the arbor...probably more the size Anna's initial purchase but they were only $25 each. I would have loved those larger plants from Knox at $35 each but logistically picking them up from Silvia's place would be a little problematic right now.

Good to know about the red Dynamite, it's $5/pound in the 2lb jar and I usually buy the same product in 50lb bags from Florikan at $1.50/lb...still have at least 20lbs left, should last another 2-3 years. Now, what kind of soil/mix should I bury them with in our lousy grey/brown podzolic soil?

When I did a Florida GW search of QR I saw Lisa's QR and I was SOLD! Thanks Lisa ;-)

BTW, even though nobody responded about garlic vine Kirby's had them and if it had not been for the fact that QR blooms 4-6 times a year vs. twice a year with GV I probably would have tried the garlic vine even though it seems nobody here has any experience with it.

Tom

• gcmastiffs
    14 years ago

Sally, mine was in a big pot, and was 4' tall when I got it. Support of some kind is needed. Mine was braided, on a wooden three-slatted trellis.

I had it on my patio for at least a year.

It grows pretty fast, but is not invasive and has no grasping tentrils. The flowers are on thin shoots that give kind of a waterfall effect. The blooms are double, dark and light purple. Blooming is rapid, spectacular, and over in about 10 days. The flowers have no fragrance as far as I can tell, but bees love them.
    Most of the year, it is a plain green vine, with no problems.

Mine is in full sun at noon, partial sun the rest of the day.

Lisa

• whgille
    14 years ago

Hi Tom,

I am glad that you got the 2 that you want it, they will catch up fast, don't worry.

The ones that I saw at the pergola in the nursery were gigantic!, that is why I told them to give me the smallest one.

And since I bought it, it has a lot of new growth, in your zone will do much better, maybe if you put some white accent flowers will look pretty, different shades of purple and blues will be fine too like morning glories come in this beautiful shades.

The expert at the nursery told me to use black cow for planting and I did that.

Hi Lisa,

That is some gorgeous queen's wreath!

Silvia

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

flnative_2010,
    Got your email regarding where to find QW in FM. The response email seems to have not worked, so thought I'd post here. Anyway they do have some for sale at the Edison Estate garden shop. Small ones, maybe one-gallon, for $10. I agree with whgille above about buying the small ones, they won't be small for long once planted.

Maybe it's dumb luck but a while back I was able to root a couple just keeping the cuttings in water. Not sure how long that took. Then it took awhile for the root system to grow before the plant started to grow, but now going great.
    good luck

kelly

• saldut
    14 years ago

Thank you, Lisa-- it sounds just right, now I'm going to watch for it, also a Coral Honeysuckle... I'm going to the Green Thumb Festival on April 24 - 25 and maybe someone there will have these vines, if not, I'll go to a mail-order nursery...... Thanks, sally

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's interesting about rooting the cuttings in water; I've actually done that with crotons. It takes a long time with the crotons to root this way but if the QW will do it and they should be cut back after a flush anyway to get another flush I might give it a try...they would make great, unusual house gifts.

• annafl
    14 years ago

Tom, those will be beautiful! Don't forget to secure them. Wow, you don't mess around. That was fast.

Lisa, I had forgotten about your QW. It is gorgeous.

Anna

• fighting8r
    14 years ago

Tom you are right about the gift idea. I am starting to realize how few people even know about queen's wreath. Now that mine has started to flower my neighbors can't wait to plant some on their arbor!

• jnemeth636
    14 years ago

Just posting to respond to the garlic vine question. I have it and it is a fun, well-behaved vine. The leaves (when you crush them) really smell like garlic which I think is cool. It has very pretty purple flowers, but does not bloom nearly as much as the Queen's Wreath. I would say it's growing habit is similar, slow and woody. It makes big seed pods and it's very easy to grow from seed or cuttings.

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Anna - your place has lots of color, mine has none...I've got to get going ;-)

8r - I can't wait to try to propagate some cuttings

Jen - I'm still intrigued with garlic vine and the lack of knowledge of it here...nice to know it's well behaved too. I would love to see pictures of yours in bloom if you have any. Any chance I could some seeds or cuttings from you?

Tom

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi folks, it's me again. Now that I'm the proud owner of two Queens Wreath they are not being planted in the back, I've resurrected this post to help those that may come behind me seeking vine-Zin in their gardens. Queens Wreath is spectacular when it's blooming but the leaves and vines are "so-so" when it's not blooming. Garlic vine, skyvine and solanum wendlandii all have beautiful leaves and vines year around and while the garlic vine only blooms twice a year the other two bloom all year long. These factors are important to me because this arbor is right outside of the pool cage and we really live out there all year long. So, here we are...still undecided but moving away from QW :-(

Tom

• saldut
    14 years ago

Hi Tom - I'm looking for a vine to put at the back of my rose-bed, and was attracted to the Queen's ( Sandpaper Vine ).to attract Hummers... but if it is a short bloomer, maybe you are onto something....how abt. Honeysuckle? does it bloom all the time ? it is supposed to attract Hummingbirds..... I have researched Trumpet Vine and on Dave's Garden there are many 'negatives' abt. it being very invasive, even tho' it is a great bloomer..... so I'm staying away from that one............BTW- Calvin says the plant you gave him is starting to bloom and he will take some pics.... he loves it.. sally

• SaintPFLA
    14 years ago

What about training a Bouganvilla on that arbor? All vines will require maintenance no matter what. At least with Bougies you won't have to deal with tendrils creeping everywhere or reseeding issues.

Also, Clemantis....it's one I've always thought about planting but never have. There are lots of varieties and colors.

Speaking of tendrils creeping....I'll probably be trimming my SkyVine this weekend. It's getting grabby with my citrus again...(sigh...)

Now, my FlameVine - which is in a large pot because I don't trust it -- is in BLOOM! The very first time in three years! Those bright orange flowers make the waiting worth it! :)

• natives_and_veggies
    14 years ago

Thanks for this post Tom! I had no idea trimming it right after a flush of blooms would encourage another. Mine bloomed better this year than ever before, making me think it actually liked that cold snap.

• nikkers
    14 years ago

Just my 2 cents on Sky Blue Vine. The are stunningly gorgeus and a traffic stopper - but - it has a tendency to want to take over the world. This winter was hard on the leaves. They turned black and shriveled up and then fell off. I thought it was dead so I cut it down to the ground. Well, it's now on a rampage and tries to grab me when I pass it LOL The advice to keep it in the pot didn't work for me. Mine was set on the ground in the pot. It simply let roots down through the bottom and I can't even budge it now. If it didn't look so great when it blooms, I'd get rid of it. To me such tenacity should be respected.
    I never grew the QW.

• fldirt
    14 years ago

What about RANGOON CREEPER VINE? It has beautiful reddish-pink flowers & boy does it smell. It blooms several times a year & is well behaved.

• garyfla_gw
    14 years ago

nikkers
    Did the skyvine "run " even though in a pot?? I found almost everything will root through the botttom .but seemed to lower the chance of starting new plants from runners. When I first moved here I planted a bougainvillea
    Skyvine and maylay rubber vine side by side on a four foot fence. I pruned every 6 minutes then built a shadehouse in front 10 feet tall. made the SH so dark it was useless but did store some of the junk some of the epiphytic vines did survive inside the 'cave" lol
    Frances moved the SH/ trellis to the neighbors yard so I just removed all three . was unbelieveably gaudy all year around though!!!
    Wouldn't it be wonderful to have an arbor system such as the one at Fairchild ?? Also several miles of property along with a yard crew of 30/40 lol gary

• valkyriemusic
    14 years ago

I found this article on Queen's Wreath very good. I guess it is too cold here for me to plant one. I am in Citrus County, not sure if I am 9a or 9b.

http://www.thewisegardener.com/index.php?page=articles&aid=216

• tomncath
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the responses folks; they really helped me with the decision. It's done! Although the leaves are not the prettiest the QW is so well behaved that I went ahead and planted them on each end of the Arbor, now to see how they do. The one on the west end stays shaded for much of the day vs. the one on the east end being in the sun most of the day. I have a feeling the one in the sun is going to grow much faster but only time will tell....Pictures later.

Tom

• nikkers
    14 years ago

Garyfl,
    The vine did not set runners from the pot, but the pot did nothing to prevent its overly enthusisastic growth. It grows at an astounding rate and I have never fertilized it. It's been in that 3 gal pot for 6 years.

• Tom Lorentson
    7 years ago

I live in SWFlorida and I have been growing both queens wreath and sky vine for five years and love them both. Earlier comments regarding the need for constant pruning of the sky vine are correct but if you have the time the resulting blooms are worth it. One plant covered an eight foot section 4 feet high of chainlink fence and provide a wonderful color display when in bloom and a nice green wall when not. I built a 4 foot ladder trellis for my queens wreath and planted on plant at each end. Within two years the woody vine climbed to the four foot top a spread out across the eight foot long ladder. It now blooms about every three to four months and it is the one plant that I have that everyone who sees it in bloom raves about. Two great plants either is great but the wreathed is a definate show stopper.