SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Daylilies with best bud count, branching this season

shive
14 years ago

Which of your daylilies has the best bud count and branching this season?

This year MISTER BUBBLES is the king of my garden. This little workhorse from northern hybridizer Mimi Schwarz has 5-6 way branching and 28-32 buds per scape. Not to mention immediate rebloom.

MISTER BUBBLES blooming in cooler temps

MISTER BUBBLES bloom surrounded by many buds

MISTER BUBBLES clump yesterday. Flowers become cream with lavender tips in blazing hot weather. Blooms have plenty of tendrils, teeth and horns in hot weather.

MISTER BUBBLES clump today

The daylily with the second best bud count and branching is Lambertson's CRETACEOUS CRUNCH. This one has 4-way branching with 23-28 buds per scape and immediate rebloom scapes coming.

CRETACEOUS CRUNCH

Coming in third is Trimmer's late blooming AUGUST FROST, with 23-24 buds and 4-way branching.

Please share your bud kings with us!

Debra

Comments (61)

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm going to have to get rid of something to have room for Clown Parade!!!!

• Brad KY 6b
    14 years ago

One of my best has constantly been Priscilla's Dream. It sometimes has 4 branches [I am in Kentucky]. It is also a surprise in another way. In the morning it is a pale, not so pretty purple, but the sun actually darkens the color and by evening it is a dark, beautiful purple! It sometimes reblooms, and one year it rebloomed into October, which is unheard of in KY for most daylilies.

• Related Discussions

Best Bud Counts of 2014

Q

Comments (39)
    Lynxe - I looked up Eager To Please to see what it looked like. That's a Hanson I hadn't heard of before. I usually have at least one Hanson in my best budded group, but they did not do as well this year. In the past, Cool Hand Luke, Stealth Bomber, Integrated Logistics, and Bela Lugosi have made my Top 10. I think all of those had 17 buds this time. Debra
    ...See More

Best bud count DL for colder climates???

Q

Comments (11)
    Hampshire Hoyden is a stand out in my mind this summer since I just planted it in '06. It gave me a lot of blooms over several weeks and since it is so new I think it is a good one. Others blooming very well in the new bed are Louise Mercer, Delicate Design, Emerald Splendor, Whistler's Sister, Whimsical, Casual Pleasure and Brief Enchantment. Also in my established garden, CHERRY CHEEKS, & RUFFLED PANTALOONS are very prolific bloomers, as are SILOAM DOUBLE CLASSIC, CHICAGO APACHE, CRIMSON SHADOWS, CHARLES JOHNSTON, CRANBERRY BABY & INDIAN GIVER. We are having one of the driest summers (and a long hot spell -in the 90s) I can remember and all of these gave me many blooms so I think they should do really well with more rain and lower temps. Also, last winter we had very little snow which meant no insulation, and we had a real cold spell late. The new DLs made it through just fine. If you need to see more photos let me know. I am posting one of Cherry Cheeks, A FAVORITE - established bed Louise Mercer - new bed Good luck. Jane
    ...See More

Best Near Whites of the Daylily Season 2018

Q

Comments (36)
    Now that I am home again, I had to post this lily. It is Voila Francois. No doubt, the most perfectly formed white I have. I don't think I have ever had an ugly bloom on this one. The second is Stardust Dragon. (I don't know this new trick Houzz performed in putting my photos together! Not my intention. It bopped my narrative below it and I have to edit.) New this year. But it multiplied rapidly and bloomed and then rebloomed. I think I will like it . Kate
    ...See More

Best Budded Daylilies of 2020

Q

Comments (58)
    Updating some of my bud counts based on bud scars: August Frost x Winter's Angel has overtaken the yellow seedling as my No. 1 bud king with 47 buds. I think it's done bud building now, but we'll see. The yellow seedling turned out to have 41 buds, and Seedling "Leonard" finished with 34. August Frost X Winter's Angel -47 Destined to See x Back Scratcher Seedling - 41 Leonard - 34 Debra
    ...See More
  • blue23rose
    14 years ago

Hi All, I haven't responded either because mine are still coming on. None of mine are through with their first scapes, but I am going to keep track of the branching and bud counts by not cutting any until the scape is done.

Part of my problem is that most of mine are still only in their second year and are still adjusting. I have a lot of NOID's that have been around for a while and only a few named ones.

Debra, My neighbor has over 2000 daylilies and one of the comments she made was that the Stamile's didn't do good in our area (zone 6). I don't even know which ones of mine are Stamile's just off hand, but will definitely keep track of those. We had an awesome spring with lots of rain (a little more than we wanted at times), so I think this was probably one of our areas best years. I need to visit her again to ask how the Stamile's did this year.

I like this thread and hope it stays alive and well because it is of interest to everyone here. We want good performers and this is a great way to share the info. Let's keep this one going all summer.

Vickie

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vickie - The rain only helped bud counts on a few of my ML and L bloomers. Bud counts on the EE and EM bloomers were way down because of last year's lack of rain here from July through most of October. It's my belief most of the early bloomers start forming scapes below ground in the fall. We had tons of winter and spring rain, and it did nothing to help my Stamiles. Prior to three years ago, when we used to get rain all summer and fall, the Stamiles did great. They lived up to, or came close, to advertised bud counts. The Stamiles, and many of the other Florida bred daylilies, suffer horribly in droughts.

The only reason I mention the Stamiles is that Pat Stamile was the first hybridizer I know of to list his branching and bud count. For years, many buyers hesitated to buy other hybridizer's plant because they "did not have the bud counts of the Stamiles." When in fact, under normal garden conditions, they did.

Debra

• njmomma
    14 years ago

ok, Clown Parade is going on my wish list!

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

I looked up Clown Parade and it's expensive! :P LOL I agree, stop posting pictures of it! :D

Rita, I'm staying away from pink and red in the front yard because our house has this really orange-y brick and it just doesn't look right. I always, ALWAYS get pink tulips. Tulips are my hands-down favorite flower (sorry dls!), and pink is my favorite color. So this year (first spring in this house) I had pink tulips and went, ICK! It really clashed. It might have looked better if our foundation plantings were bigger and they could have been placed in front of bushes, but the baby pink against the orangey-gold brick was just not happening.

What DID look absolutely PHENOMENAL was the Boss Tweed Iris. It's like a coppery color. Sooo, I have been in search of perennials in that same color. Let me tell you - hard to find! That is actually what initially infected me with the daylily crazies this year...such a range of colors!

I am doing pink flowers in the backyard. :) The back of the house is siding, so I don't have the odd brick to contend with. Maybe eventually I will do a pink daylily bed back there for all the ones I see and absolutely love (and there are a lot of pinks that just blow me away!)

So Clown Parade isn't really pink though? What color is it? Like magenta? Orchid?

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's a good picture of Boss Tweed's color

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

Connie, the colors in my pictures are accurate as to the colos the flowers actually are. Nothing I post has been photo-shopped.

The petals are the red and the sepals are cream with of the light coral on the edges. the throat is yellow to green. It's altogether colorful and eyecatching. (and nice and tall). the colors are more muted after the plant has bloomed a long time. I got three weeks bloom from it. There were usually 3 to 8 blooms each day, and this is the first year for this plant.

(Look at Matietta's...it's less expensive)
    kay

• Waitforspring
    14 years ago

Love this thread! Performannce is the most important thing to me. Hope I can find this thread when I finally get bloom. Mister Bubbles, Cretaceous Crunch and Clown Parade are going my list. Just have to figure out what to get rid of to fit them in.
    Val

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    14 years ago

With this thread in mind I took a picture of my most prolific and dependable landscape daylily: Pandora's Box. It was a bit windy when I snapped this, so it's a bits fuzzy, but you get the picture:
    {{gwi:831642}}

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

That setting is just beautiful.

• organic_kitten
    14 years ago

That is a simply gporgeous scene.
    kay

• laurelin
    14 years ago

Gorgeous photos - and I'm not even going to LOOK at how much 'Clown Parade' costs, at least not for a while. I'd like to daydream a little before reality intrudes, lol.

I really like 'August Frost.' I have a weak spot for white daylilies.

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Laurelin - August Frost would grow so well where you are. It's a dormant. For me it's late June and July "frost." But I bet it would be frost in August where you live.

Debra

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

Debra,

I got my clipboard out last night and started going around checking scape branching and bud count. I hope I'm doing it right. Even with only 100 daylilies, this is no small task.

I never really thought about the scapes forming in the fall of the previous year, but I guess something would have to be going on in order for them to bloom early. Thanks for the info.

I hope to be out in the garden again after work with clipboard in hand:)

Vickie

• newyorkrita
    14 years ago

I had to take this clump shot of Mike Derrow's intro Prelude To Panopy, even though only one flower is open. I only received this last year. Its next to RED HILL, which has afew scapes and CORAL MAJORITY, both of which lok like absolute wimps comparied to all these scapes with buds up the wazoo.

Next I want to say that the budcounts and branching on Culver intros is exceptional for me. This is GIGGLE CREEK, whiich started most early of my Culver intros.

Didn't take a picture but also want to mention that I an very impressed with my Melanie Mason intros, lots of scapes and lots of buds. The Mason and Culver intros took off right out of the gate so to speak and were good last year also and that was there first year, this year, WOW!!!!

Then there are the ones from Don Herr. Last year afew blooms on each short scape and I mean afew. That was their first year. This year, oh my gosh!!!! Fabulous. Lots of scapes, branching and budcount. This is what I like to see.

• fairysoapgirl
    14 years ago

Well it is just too darn hot here to really do any proper counting. But from memory, I have to say that my purple eye seedling beats anything in my garden for branching and bud count. I really should take a photo of the spent scape so ya'll can see this monster.

Crystal Sea is always good.

Pink Rocks was great again this year.

Heaven's Declaring just won't stop blooming-scape after scape with great counts.

Create Your Dream - great counts

Pixie Plaything

Unvanquished

Velvet Eyes

Spacecaost Surprise Purple

West Coast Blues

• rarejem
    14 years ago

Debra, I love this idea for a thread, and will try to participate as my bloom season gets better underway. This is the first year that I have been consciously "aware" of the difference in the branching from one cultivar to another, and it is amazing.

I am going to be particularly curious to check out my Stamile intros after the comments posted here. Although my climate is cool and they are "southern" daylilies, they are some of my very favorites in my collection, and do very well in my garden. Probably has something to do with the fact that "drought" is very rarely a concern in my wet yard!

Julie

• lilynut
    14 years ago

So far with only 30 Reg. cultivers blooming Richard Norris' CLARIFICATION is out doing herself. 4-5 way branching with a terminal Y. So many buds I quite counting at 35.

Plenty of water here, so things are branched really well. The new folks here remember as I've heard many times water is the best fertilizer for daylilies. *-)

Cheers,
    Bruce and Tanya

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I hadn't paid much attentions to the miniature and small flowers until most of the big ones were bloomed out. These little guys kept going and going. Upon close inspection I have crowned these Bud Kings for 2009 too.

LITTLE MYSTIC MOON had 30 buds per scape. But because it always had bouquet blooms, it went through those blooms faster than the two below. Since this is planted in part shade, I was pretty impressed. Imagine what it could do in full sun!

WITCH'S THIMBLE has already bloomed for five weeks, and has enough buds to go at least another week. Bud count of 28.

MARDI GRAS PARADE had 4-5 way branching and 24-28 buds per scape. It's still going too.

Debra

• conniemcghee
    14 years ago

Thanks Kay for the description of Clown Parade. I love that it seems to put off a lot of blooms at once, and I do just love the color!

I have recently conceded that I may have to change my plans and get some pink dls for the front yard. :)

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just a reminder. Go out and look at those scapes and tell us your best budded and branched cultivars. This is valuable information for those of us who buy based on performance.

KOKOPELLI was my best budded and branched dip spidery one. It had from 18-20 buds on scapes with 4-way branching. This photo shows a fused bloom poly.

Debra

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

Well, I did my list two different ways and Buttered Popcorn came out on top both times.

If I took just the best scapes with the best branching and bud count for an individual scape, this is what I would end up with:

1. Buttered Popcorn - 4-way, 31 buds
    2. Pardon Me - 4-way, 29 buds
    3. Apple Tart - 5way, 26 buds
    4. Silent Sentry - 4-way, 26 buds
    5. Mary's Gold - 2-way, 24 buds
    6. Mabel Nolen - 4-way, 24 buds
    7. Condilla - 4-way, 23 buds
    8. Mister Lucky - 4-way 23 buds
    9. Strawberry Candy - 4-way, with 23 buds
    10.Panama Hattie - 5-way, 22 buds

I also took the average of the branching and bud counts for all the scapes that were in the clump and came up with this next list. The years on here are the years that I purchased the daylily. This list probably shouldn't count, but just putting it in for comparison.

1. Buttered Popcorn 2006?-Benzinger, 3-way, 22 buds
    2. Condilla 2005?-Grooms, 4-way, 21 buds
    3. Pardon Me 2008-Apps, 4-way, 21 buds
    4. Mary's Gold June 2008-McDonnell-H, 3-way, 20 buds
    5. Apple Tart June 2008-Hughes, 4-way, 19 buds
    6. Breaking The Rules fall 2007-Kirchhoff-D, 4-way, 19 buds
    7. Panama Hattie fall 2007-Kirchhoff-D, 4-way, 19 buds
    8. Emperor's Dragon July 2008-Munson-RW, 4-way, 18 buds
    9. All Fired Up June 2008-Stamile, 3-way, 18 buds
    9. Moon Music fall 2007-Salter, 4-way, 17 buds

We've had about 20 inches of rain this year and it is raining even now, so the daylilies have done wonderful this year and considering a lot of mine are fairly new, I'm tickled pink at what mine have done this year.

Vickie

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Vickie - Thanks for posting your stats. It's interesting to see the two methods you used. Buttered Popcorn has never done that well for me, nor has Pardon Me. But those are ones I don't water or fertilize on a regular basis, and neither gets full sun here. With all this rain, it will be interesting to see if you and I get rebloom on those this time. Buttered Popcorn is reputed to be a rebloomer in the south. But is has only rebloomed once in seven years for me. Pardon Me is in the shade now that the neighbors's trees have grown tall. It rebloomed the first couple years I had it.

Debra

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

Debra,

Buttered Popcorn has never rebloomed for me that I can remember, but it would be nice if it did.

Silent Sentry had one scape that was 4-way branching and 26 buds. But the other 6 or so were quite a bit less than that. That's why it dropped out on the second list. Same with a couple of others.

Vickie

• Edward_Kimball
    14 years ago

I have some tentitive results for the earlies. I am going with best scape as I am to lazy to count them all and average.

Raspbery Candy 30+
    Elegant Candy 30+
    Ah Youth 30+
    Lillian's Tears and Roses 40
    Siloam Jim Cooper 30+

Edward

• blue23rose
    14 years ago

I wouldn't call that lazy:) I say you were fortunate to have so many that were doing so well! I'll be happy to pass along the news to my daughter that Elegant Candy does so well. I think I got her hooked on daylilies and that was her first pick.

I only did mine that way this year because I wasn't sure how it was done and I had very few that did what yours have. I can tell you now, I will not be counting all the scapes next year!! Way too much work.

Vickie

• njmomma
    14 years ago

I also have a sweet spot for whites and that pic of August Frost makes me want to buy it immediately.
    Well, it's the first year for most of my daylilies but I am amazed at how abundant some have been. Here is my list:

Tangible Distinction - FFO was on 7/3 and it looks like it will last another few weeks - not bad for its' very first year! I wish I liked the color more though.

Joan Senior

Elegant Candy

Woodside Romance

Pandora's Box

Blue Happiness - surprised me with many buds its' first year

Seminole Wind - again, so perfect and only its' 1st year

Arcadia Plantantion - going strong and so perfect

Lady Liz - still going strong

Waiting for Peace

For their first year - these above did (and are doing) particularly well for me. I am so happily surprised with the amount of blooms I got this year with these double fans planted last fall.

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

It's interesting to see what you are posting. Raspberry and Elegant Candy have never done that well for me. Maybe they need more sun. This year was their best performance in four years, and still they had only 14-15 buds per scape.

I was at my sister's in Indianapolis for the past few days. Her Custard Candy had 35 buds per scape and 4 to 5 way branching. Another one of hers with super bud count and branching was Scarlet Chalice, a red Munson that I gave away because the blooms faded badly here. They seem to stay red in her climate. SC had 30-32 buds per scape with 4 and 5 way branching.

Debra

• Edward_Kimball
    14 years ago

I double checked the Candies and Elegant Candy had scapes with 33, 35, and 38 buds. Raspberry Candy had a scape with 28 buds. With that one I think a couple of the smallest buds may have shriveled up without leaving a trace (or I can't count).

• timberohio
    14 years ago

I purchased Elegant Candy & Peach Candy this year from local gardens because of the branching and bud counts. 4 to 6 branches and easily 30+ buds. Both gardens had them in full sun. They are now planted in partial sun so I'll have to wait till next year to see if they still keep the high branching and bud count.

It is interesting to see the counts on the Candies. I may have to get some more.

Andrea

• hosenemesis
    14 years ago

Mine was Exotic Treasure, which had 40+ buds. I guess it has bad branching, though, because most of the buds did not open fully because so many other buds were in the way. It can't take the heat here and the rebloom scapes have turned brown and the buds fell off.
    Renee

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Edward - I took a second look at my Elegant Candy. One of the scapes did have 18 buds and four-way branching. So, now that we're out of the drought, it may do better next season.

Renee - It's too bad the buds were crowded on Exotic Treasure. It has such a pretty bloom, so the more flowers the better. I'm sorry the rebloom scapes didn't make it.

Another one I looked at today was El Desperado, which still has one bud left. The fan that gets the most sun produced a scape with 20 buds and four-way branching. The other scapes had 16 buds and three-way branching.

Debra

Debra

• Waitforspring
    14 years ago

I'm a long way from having much to report, but I did count 29 buds on one scape of Mary's Gold. None of the other scapes were close though. I do wonder what makes one scape of a flower have a much higher bud count than the rest.
    Edward what are you feeding Elegant Candy to get such a high bud count? Or what am I doing wrong?
    Val

• Waitforspring
    14 years ago

I counted buds on a few more today. These are the best bud counts on each.
    Bahama Butterscotch-31
    Voices of Spring-29
    Carolina Orange Glow-29
    Baby Moon Cafe-28

I also noted that a lot of pretty well known daylilies don't have very good bud counts here--single digits.
    Val

• lynxe
    14 years ago

The best, as far as I've noticed, for branching & bud count =

APPALOOSA HERITAGE, with 5-way branching. Did not count buds, but it's still going strong, and will be for some time. Registered as 5-way and 40 buds....give it another year here, and I'm sure I'll see that.

WESTBOURNE GOOD OLD DAYS, with 6-way branching or 5-way, depending on how you count branches, and a whole bunch of buds; also still blooming. Registered as 7-way branching and 35 buds....I'm coming close. Again, maybe next year.

MEMORIAL TO STEVE - a really nice effort after its first full year here. Counted neither branches nor buds, but there were lots and lots of both.

A wonderful red with a lost tag. :((( It's one I brought from my former house, so an ID should possible at some point. Tree-like branching and a billion or so perfect, sun-fast red blooms that are also little affected by rain. Are you as frustrated as I am yet LOL.

For excellent bud count = UMBRELLAS OF CHERBOURG. Seems a little too tightly branched though; maybe that will change as it settles in (?)

Also for excellent bud count, the old and rather weird MORRI. One of those dips with billions of buds, so it's a good thing I like the weird ones.

For length of bloom season = RUBY SPIDER. Started way back when, as an early bloomer, and there are several buds still to go.

• randyroofwalker
    14 years ago

Hello,

I am new to puchasing, growing daylillies, and flowers in general for my home. I just bought a Lady Lucille daylilly plant at the grocery store about two weeks ago. I had some beautiful blooms the first week. One bud would open up during the day, and close at night, then drop off in the next day or two. Now, after about 8 -10 blooms of flowers there are no more buds, and the top of the scape(?)I believe it is called, is drying up even though I keep the plant moist. Is this the end of my plant? Will I no longer get any more buds? Is there something I can do to save my lovely plant? Please advise. I am so disappointed right now.

Thank you, and kind regards,

Randy Roofwalker

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Randy - You may or may not get more scapes this year. The old scape will die after the buds are through blooming, but the fans will keep growing new leaves from the center. When the scape starts to turn brown, cut it back. Lady Lucille is supposed to be a rebloomer. So more scapes may come later. Get it planted soon, and next year it will have a lot more blooms.

Debra

• randyroofwalker
    14 years ago

Hi Debra,

Thanks for getting back to me, and the advise. I truly appreciate it.

So cut back the scape, huh. Okay. Do I cut it right where it starts to turn brown, and do I have to cut it diagonally? Also, do I have to transplant it? I kind of like it in the pot I have it in?

Thanks again Debra!

Blessings to you, and yours,

Randy

• randyroofwalker
    14 years ago

Hello,

I have been told to cut back the scape on my Lady Lucille as it is dieing. Can someone tell me how far back I am supposed to cut it please? I was also told to plant it soon. Is it necessary to replant it? I like it in the pot, and planter it is already in.

Thank you,

Randy

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Cut the finished scape down to it's base.

IF the pot is big enough for her you can keep her in the pot.

• Edward_Kimball
    14 years ago

Time Warp finished blooming yesterday so I got a chance to count bud scars on all three branches. The totals were 25, 24, and 21. These are solid numbers for a larger tet. All of the previous daylilies I mentioned were a good inch or two smaller than Time Warp.

• Edward_Kimball
    14 years ago

Key to My Heart and Tuscawilla Tigress managed 29. They both had wide branching to better display the blooms. I would say that Tuscawilla Tigress had the best arranged branches of any of my daylilies. Also, Key to My Heart greatly exceeded the 22 budcount it was registered with. Other scapes on both of these daylilies had about 25 buds.

• shive
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the info, Edward. Isn't great when they actually exceed the registered bud count?

Debra

• randyroofwalker
    14 years ago

Thank you!

• berrytea4me
    14 years ago

I didn't keep bud counts on all of mine but here are some clump shots of my most prolific bloomers.

This first one may be a mislabeled seedling. One of the local hybridizers used to line out his seedlings in the same plot as my display garden. He did have an introduction out of 'Open Hearth' and I half suspect this may be a sibling. It was a real wowser though.

I did count the buds on 'Desperado Love'. One scape had 32 buds, the rest counted in the high 20s. This is only a two year old plant in my garden. It blooms ML here and is still putting on a show.

This one was sold to me as 'Mariachi' but I've learned it is actually 'Mariachi1' as the first "Mariachi" was a diploid that was never released. 'Mariachi1' is a tet. Take a look at this 2yr plant's branching & bloom.

'Mary Todd' is a real bloomer here too.

Check out the scape on 'Mexican Maiden'

'Nile Crane' was absolutely gorgeous.

Always a favorite performer here, 'Wild Horses' had a long bloom season

And finally, my seedling 2007-048-003 (Jennifer Trimmer x Maltese Falcon) had what I would call 4-way branching (though when I asked the garden judges at regional to explain how they count branches they would have called this at least 6-way) and a budcount of 25 in its maiden bloom.

• mary_rockland
    2 years ago

Love to see this thread come back to life.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    2 years ago

Check the posts back a few weeks, Debra starts one near the end of each season

Sherry

• Jameszone7a Philadelphia
    11 months ago

This one of the better threads I’ve seen on the site! Ended up here because I just bought my first lily. Buttered popcorn

• shive
    Original Author
    11 months ago

Jameszone7a - Welcome to the world of daylilies. How did you ever find this post from 13 years ago?

Debra