SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Best Bud Counts of 2014

shive
9 years ago

In a year of less than impressive bud counts here, a few still wowed me. What were your bloom champions this season? Tell us which ones made the best clumps or just kept going like the energizer bunny.

My bud king was my own 2014 registration, SANGRIA WITH MIA. with best scapes of 33 and 35 buds. The other scapes ranged from 20-28 buds. Anything here this year with bud counts more than 20 was doing well.

This post was edited by shive on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 19:53

Comments (39)

• opnjmprs
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

The plant with the best bud count here is Angel's Gather Around with 25 buds. I have 2 select seedlings that have increased well and have bud counts of 20+. Otherwise this hasn't been a great year.....many of my reliable registered CV's are only producing 10 - 12 buds on a scape. I sure do hope this coming winter isn't as brutal as this past one was. I even have some Japanese Maples that I've never had problems with, struggling right now. I think they got tricked by an early warm spell and tried to bud out, and then got clobbered by returning bitter cold temps.

Linda

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Really nice pic of your bud king, and great bud count! Will you be adding 2nd to 10th place with pictures? :)

I haven't counted mine yet. Just by looking I think it is going to be low. I may be wrong but I noticed that the more scapes I get the less buds are on them. And some of mine got a lot of scapes. Looks like it's sort of like having a lot of buds on top - some blooms can't open well, stuck between the other scapes.

• Related Discussions

Daylilies with worst bud count, branching this season

Q

Comments (6)
    Kay, Jerry Nettles will be a lot better next year. This is the 2nd year for Jerry here, & it has been one of my best bloomers this year. I'm giving Cherry Cheeks & Better Believe it another chance. I should have taken them out before, they've both bloomed only once in 4 years. Cherry cheeks did have "1" scape this year which of course out of all the daylilies in this area, was the one I knocked off accidentally. I haven't tried moving them, but I'm going to give it a try & move in September. Anyone else would have gotten rid of them, but I've a large yard so I keep hoping. I remember really liking the blooms the one time they bloomed.
    ...See More

Best Bud Counts 2010 Part 2

Q

Comments (18)
    Well, I was doing bud counts, and the plants kept putting up instant rebloom scapes and doing that bud building thing that I just decided to count scapes instead. I have been blessed with such heavy bloom and for so long a time this year. 14 scapes - Intelligent Life ...it wouldn't surprise me too much if it decided to send up a scape again. 12 scapes - Citrix, Filled to Overflowing, Count it All Joy, Heaven's Edge,Remembering Elizabeth and North Wind Dancer 10 scapes - South Seas, Cinco de Mayo, All American Windmill and Palace Garden Beauty. Citrix started with a pitiful bloom the 2nd of June. Every other bloom on it had been perfect. Today, it squeezed out one last bloom that was not perfect, but it had bloomed for so long, and almost always multiple blooms! Filled to Overflowing started blooming the 4th of June. It still has quite a few blooms to open. I had never had a day lily bloom for such a long period of time before. Three weeks was outstanding. Next year will have to be a let down since this has been such a remarkable year for bloom, instant rebloom, and regular rebloom. kay
    ...See More

Best bud count DL for colder climates???

Q

Comments (11)
    Hampshire Hoyden is a stand out in my mind this summer since I just planted it in '06. It gave me a lot of blooms over several weeks and since it is so new I think it is a good one. Others blooming very well in the new bed are Louise Mercer, Delicate Design, Emerald Splendor, Whistler's Sister, Whimsical, Casual Pleasure and Brief Enchantment. Also in my established garden, CHERRY CHEEKS, & RUFFLED PANTALOONS are very prolific bloomers, as are SILOAM DOUBLE CLASSIC, CHICAGO APACHE, CRIMSON SHADOWS, CHARLES JOHNSTON, CRANBERRY BABY & INDIAN GIVER. We are having one of the driest summers (and a long hot spell -in the 90s) I can remember and all of these gave me many blooms so I think they should do really well with more rain and lower temps. Also, last winter we had very little snow which meant no insulation, and we had a real cold spell late. The new DLs made it through just fine. If you need to see more photos let me know. I am posting one of Cherry Cheeks, A FAVORITE - established bed Louise Mercer - new bed Good luck. Jane
    ...See More

Great Backyard Bird Count Feb. 14 - 17, 2014

Q

Comments (5)
    I counted in various places yesterday and photographed some nice birds in the local marsh, but one of the great things about the GBBC is that you can check on the whereabouts of a bird that's a harbinger of spring. Red-winged Blackbirds were seen in the hundreds in southeastern Massachusetts and there are reports in CT and RI. I myself saw a Brown-headed Cowbird this morning which is a bird that migrates early, usually with the grackles, close behind the red-wings. Spring is closer! Birds in the marsh: Great Blue Heron Green-winged Teal Red-breasted Merganser Buffleheads and a Canada Goose (one of many many Canada Geese) Claire
    ...See More
  • shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nat - I doubt that I have 10 with impressive bud counts this season. I know I have at least six with bud counts of 20 or more, I'll have to double check to see if I can come up with nine.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Thu, Jul 24, 14 at 14:15

• dementieva
    9 years ago

Low counts here too. I had a couple seedlings with 15 buds and my best registered plant was FIRE AGATE with 12 scapes with between 9 and 13 buds each. I definitely neglected to water some of the beds during the most important part of the spring.

Nate

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

I don't count buds or blooms,I just injoy what I have blooming each day.

jean

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Wow, Sangria with Mia is great! And a beautiful face too.

I really don't count buds, but Jellyroll Morton, which I just got late last August and hasn't started blooming yet, has two scapes with about 28 buds on each scape. I'll try to remember to check it again later in the season and see what it has, buds may still be forming. Here's a pic of one scape...

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

My bud counts are low too. But Purple Riot had 23, Vintage Wine and Bittersweet Holiday each had 17 on some scapes, and Rob Cobb had 18 on one scape.

• statmam
    9 years ago

TwixandDud,

So that's what candelabra branching looks like. It's spectacular. Will the buds lower down produce flowers just as nice as the buds nearer the top? Well, you just got it so of course you don't know yet...

• organic_kitten
    9 years ago

None that I am impressed with. Many scapes, but not huge bd counts. that one is a beauty, Debra.
    kay

• lynxe
    9 years ago

I hate it when you ask that question. Now I have to go outside tomorrow and start counting. ;)

The only one I know for sure is GERI KRAYNAK, and that's because I counted today. Two scapes: one very good, and one smaller. The smaller, I don't know yet. The other will have 33 buds. He registered it as having 8.

I also know that HIS SISTER PAM has a very good bud count, as it does every year.

• njmomma
    9 years ago

OK now I need Jelly Roll Morton!

I also don't count buds but I have to say I'm impressed with a few this year:

Joan Derifield, Tropical Heat Wave, and Rue Madelaine.

• flowergirl70ks
    9 years ago

Only one I counted, Salty Skipper had 8 scapes and about 20 buds on each.

• mantis__oh
    9 years ago

Women Seeking Men had over 20 buds on well-branched scapes. A very aggressive daylily.

• maximus7116
    9 years ago

I still have a few yet to bloom, but so far the winners are Claudine's Charm with 26 and Catastrophe Waitress with 24.

Let me know when you start your lowest bud count contest so I can enter some of my duds.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Twixanddud - That scape on Jellyroll Morton is superb. I can't wait to see your photos of the bloom.

Here are some more of my Top Ten Best budded. In second place for bud king here was the mini LITTLE MYSTIC MOON with the best scape having 31 buds. That's way down from prior years when the best scapes had 39-42.

3. EL DESPERADO'S best scape had 28 buds. But many scapes in the clump had only 10-12. (Update: EL D must have been bud building since I counted on Monday. Now the best scape has 31 bud scars!)

4. TEDDY BEAR'S PICNIC had one scape with 24 buds. Other scapes ranged from 18-22.

5. BEST FOR LAST's most well-budded scape had 23 buds.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 21:08

• lynxe
    9 years ago

I counted a bit this a.m. Wandered about randomly, and I counted only on one or two scapes per cultivar. Plus I didn't look for the best or worst scape; just grabbed for the nearest. That means usually was the nearest to me and thus on the outside of any clumps. I don't know how placement in the clump or on the crown might affect bud count. (Does anyone know?)

CANDY APPLE VELVET (Kirchhoff-Schindler 2011) - I counted 21 (registered at 27). This is an EM; mine's only gotten going recently, and I have many scapes still developing.

CHIPMUNK (Reed 2010) - 19 buds (registered at 22).

GREYWOODS FASHIONISTA (Wilkinson 2011) - 19 buds (registered at 23).

HELEN RUDA (Kulpa 2004) - 20 buds (registered at 16).

PASTOR Z (Polston 2011) - 20 buds (registered at 25). This is a ML; scapes on mine still developing, with some of the buds still teeny-tiny and just showing up, so I could have a higher count.

TOPGUNS DRIPPING GOLD (Scott 2004) - 17 buds (registered at 20).

TURTLE TAILS (G. Hite 2011) - 24 buds (registered at 16).

• lynxe
    9 years ago

Two more:

CHIEF DAN GEORGE (Dickerson 1992) - 27 buds (no data in the database given). Not especially attractive colors to say the least, but I'm keeping it for now because it can have red(dish) pattern on it, sometimes very good and bright. Taller and later here than registered.

NITA LELAND (S. Holmes 2012) - 33 buds (registered at 15). Gorgeous scape on a newish plant. Slow to increase?

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Chris- You're welcome to start the Lowest Bud Count thread. I have lots for that one. Ruffled Strawberry Parfait had only one bud this year. LOL I'm glad to see Claudine's Charm and Catastrophe Waitress are doing so well for you, since I know those are two of your favorites.

Lynxe - On most of my clumps the highest budded scapes are those on the outside of the clumps. I would think that's because their fans get more sun. I wish you would post some photos of your high bud cultivars. Greywood's Fashionista is the only one I recognize on your lists.

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Three cultivars tied for the #6 best budded in my gardens. Each daylily had scapes with 22 buds.

6. AUTUMN JEWELS - First time to crack the Top 10.
    {{gwi:853739}}

6. STROLLING IN THE ROSES

6. PRETTY DESIRABLE

7. I REMEMBER YOU with 21 buds on its best scape. It's good to see this one back in the Top 10 after two mediocre years. In its best season, back in 2010, it had 34 buds.
    {{gwi:853742}}

Two were tied with 20 buds at the #8 spot.

8. Seedling True to Whim X Persian Pattern (a first year bloomer) had three scapes, one with 20, one with 19, and one with 9. This is definitely a keeper seedling!

8. CHEROKEE STAR has been bud building, and the best scape now has 20 buds! I never saw its bud building capacity when it was growing in a pot.

9. KENTUCKY LUCKY had several scapes with 19 buds, down from 23-25 last year.
    {{gwi:853745}}

10. Several daylilies had 17 buds. Among them were Shelby, August Cherry, Final Touch (which often bud builds and may exceed this total), and Ruby Lipstick.

I find it interesting that the majority of daylilies in my Top Ten Budded list were nothern daylilies.

Debra

This post was edited by shive on Fri, Jul 25, 14 at 23:03

• celeste/NH
    9 years ago

I don't have time to go out and count buds (I have nearly 400 named varieties) but I did pay extra attention today to which were the best-budded after seeing your post. It is interesting, to me at least, that they are all what would be considered 'older' cultivars with one exception. Best budded for me here in zone 4 are: Gentle Rose, South Seas, Castle Camelot, Lavender Heartthrob, and the only newer one, Marietta Warrior. I have noticed as some of you have that bud counts are lower this year throughout the garden. I quickly counted 25 buds on a South Seas scape and 24 on Castle Camelot. I don't get rebloom here so when I get good bud count and lots of scapes it makes me happy.
    By the way Debra, Sangria with Mia is very striking and I also LOVE Cherokee Star and Pretty Desirable. I was glad to hear that Cherokee Star is a bud-builder. Now I have to find a source for it because it just went to the top of my wish list!

Celeste

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Beautiful scape on Jellyroll Morton! I don't have a lot of branching this year (but a lot of scapes instead).
    Oh, Best For Last is not only beautiful it has a good bud count too! Love Strolling in the Roses and I REmember You - looks good with that creamy white one.
    Debra, do you remember how many scapes Kentucky Lucky had last year?
    And lol at one bud, it's a winner. It tried :)
    Celeste, interesting about Lavender Heartthrob, mine has a low bud count, last year - very low.

• Laura twixanddud - SE MI - 5b
    9 years ago

Beautiful photos, Debra and thanks for the information on each of them too.

Celeste, I know Blueridge has Cherokee Star.

• Edward_Kimball
    9 years ago

I have a few right around the 30 mark; including Yellow Monkey which had 40 the last two years.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Edward - Yellow Monkey is consistently good for you in bud department. Your must have those bright yellow blooms for a good long run!

Debra

• Edward_Kimball
    9 years ago

It bloomed for 5 weeks last year. We will see how it does this year. It needs to bloom until August 23rd this year to tie last year.

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Warning: Long post ahead :o

Counted buds today. Like I said, and I don't know if it is true, I suspect more scapes equals less buds. Some of my daylilies that used to have pretty high bud count when they only had one or two scapes have rather sad bud count this year, but so many scapes. Anyway:

1st place - Lullaby Baby with 41 buds! It seems like it always makes Top 10. Other scapes 35, 30 - 8 scapes. The two best budded scapes have one main and two branches and each divides into two. I am confused now as to how to count, but let's say if you count everything that looks like a branch, both scapes have 6

2nd place - noid (spider) with 36, but other scapes only have 13, 10, 10 - 5 scapes

3rd place - Cosmic Traveler with 32. It only has one scape (and one big fan). See? I bet next year if it has more scapes it won't have as many buds.

4th place - Marchioness (I believe) with 29. I got this plant with a wrong name, and then our forum member posted pics and one looked familiar. Same hybridizer as that wrong name one, so I am almost 100% sure this name is correct. Other scapes 25, 21, 20 - 9 scapes. I like the color of the bloom but it just won't open fully..

5th place - last year's winner - Forty Days and Forty Nights with 27 buds. It has 3 scapes, the other two with 24 each and 1 IR scape with about 14 buds but they are still too small to count

6th place - Russian Destiny with 27 buds. I put it under 40 days because other scapes have less buds - 24, 22, 19, 14, 12 - and 14 scapes

7th place - Tahlequah Flame with 26, 22, 14, 12 buds - 4 scapes

8th place - Cat Dancer with 26. It has 11 scapes and I could only reach two to count, the second had only 14

9th place - Set Free with 25, 21, 12 - 3 scapes

And 10th place - didn't expect that - Katrina Heroes with 25, other scapes 16,14 - 4 scapes

And since I mentioned scapes and spent all this time counting ;) I'll post 5 daylilies with the most scapes

1. Mardi Gras Parade - 28 scapes (bc 21, 17, 10, 8, 8)

2. Light of the World - 25 scapes - it's a very big clump (bc 19, 19,15)

3. Black Lace Conspiracy - 22 scapes (bc 9, 8, 8) way lower bc than previous years but I moved it this spring

4. Hyperion and Soul on Fire - 21 scapes (14,12,10 / 12,11,11)

5. Francis of Assisi, Ruby Spider, Sherry Lane Carr, Zena - 20 scapes
    (16,12,11 / 15,13,13,12 / 17,17,14,11 / 18,14,9,8)
    So even if they have lower bud count this year with all those scapes I'll still have a lot of flowers.

When you look at Francis of Assisi you'd think it is going to be a bud king with so many buds, but.. it's so many scapes :) Also wanted to mention that Sherry Lane Carr was in Top 10 twice with 40+ and then 38 buds, but less scapes. Or I had one of the best budded with 39 buds when it had only 3 scapes and this year with 15 scapes best bud count is 13.

Sorry about this long and confusing post. Hope pictures make up for the boredom ;) (most of which are from today except a couple that are from yesterday).

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nat - I found your long post fascinating. Hooray for Lullabye Baby! Good for it for breaking 40! Overall, you had some glorious bud counts in your garden. When your 10 place has 25 buds, you are doing very well. I was wondering how your Forty Days and Forty Nights would do this year. I think 27 buds is still very respectable. Mine, which was new this year, did not scape. I'm hoping for great things out of it next year. By the way, scrumptious photo of Forty Days and Forty NIghts. I was amazed your Tahlequah Flame made the Top 10. Mine nearly died in a pot over the winter, and is recovering instead of blooming this year. In the past, I don't think it ever had more than 13 buds. Thanks for sharing your bud counts!

Debra

• gothiclibrarian
    9 years ago

I always lose count on branches so I triple checked my highest count then threw my hands up at the others.

#1: Baby Moon Cafe

July 7

July 28

Highest count on a scape (scape I bothered to count, that is, see above note on my overall degree of laziness): 39

Please note that this 2nd photo is from yesterday...BMC is blooming more like a L for me this year.

#2: Black Fathom Depths

June 24

July 3

Highest budcounts only in the lower 20s this year (easily several in the 40s in 2013)...and she really rushed through her bloom. Pretty sure she didn't like getting down to -13F actual temps this winter.

All around my bud counts were lower this year. I've skated by for a few years with some tender varieties and they definitely hate me now, after the Polar Vortex came through (and frankly hasn't left).

Cheers!
    ~Anika

• nat4b
    9 years ago

Thanks Debra :) Yeah 40 days reached 40 last year and with almost the same amount of scapes bc is way lower this year, so my theory doesn't work here.
    I am pretty sure Lullaby Baby is a bud builder. And I was really surprised about Tahlequah too. Though most of the winners and other DLs with more than 20bc have other scapes with low(er) bc.

Anika, awesome clump of Black Fathom Depths! I too double and tripled checked the highest, mostly because I couldn't believe :)

• lynxe
    9 years ago

I have EAGER TO PLEASE (Hanson 02) with 33 buds. Don't shoot me, Debra, but you guessed it...no pics. Check the AHS database, but I will say, that's an underwhelming picture of it that doesn't do it justice. Mine's rounder and has a richer, redder color. An online search should bring up other images of it.

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lynxe - I looked up Eager To Please to see what it looked like. That's a Hanson I hadn't heard of before. I usually have at least one Hanson in my best budded group, but they did not do as well this year. In the past, Cool Hand Luke, Stealth Bomber, Integrated Logistics, and Bela Lugosi have made my Top 10. I think all of those had 17 buds this time.

Debra

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

DEBRA: If you wouldn't mind, would you tell me what kind of camera you ise for these bloom photos. They have such beautiful color on them.I have to get a new camera for next season. mine don't want to turn on most of the time,and then stops in the middle of picture taking.
    thanks,
    jean

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jean - I have an eleven year old Nikon. It was the D70 model, and it gets great color and even has a special flower setting. Unfortunately, the newer Nikons have a different chip that blue everything up and don't get true daylily color.

Debra

• jean_ar
    9 years ago

Thank you Debra for getting back to me about it.guess I don't want the newer Nikon then.mine has the special flower setting too, but,I never did see any difference in the photos, using it.They looked the same to me.

jean

• shive
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annika - Those are some beautiful scapes on Baby Moon Cafe! Black Fathom Depths made a gorgeous clump, even though the bud count is lower this year. Thanks for sharing your photos!

Debra

• Brad KY 6b
    9 years ago

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC FH25 and it works ever so well. I can get true colors and great images [see for example my posting of Maleny Debutante]. It is not too expensive either.
    Brad

• gwnichole
    9 years ago

My highest bud count was on Heavenly Angel Ice, one scape had 33!
    Coming in second was Joan Senior with 27
    Third was South Seas with 25.
    Only the oldies did well, but our weather was really weird this year.

• gwnichole
    9 years ago

My highest bud count was on Heavenly Angel Ice, one scape had 33!
    Coming in second was Joan Senior with 27
    Third was South Seas with 25.
    Only the oldies did well, but our weather was really weird this year.

• crunchpa
    9 years ago

You can say that again....sorry, couldn't resist. Thanks everyone. Great post. Love this forum in the middle of summer!!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!