SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
luis_pr

Rest In Peace Beloved Gardenias

luis_pr
19 years ago

Well, we are fast approaching the month of May. Finally! The start of May over here includes a ritual where all supposedly dead plants are added to THE LIST and given 7-14 days... call it their last chance before they go into the compost pile.

A few days ago, I took a look around the garden. It was not a pretty sight. Looking very sad and very black are four 2Yr Old August Beauty's, two semi-new Veitchii's, one 1Yr Old Mystery and one new Everblooming Gardenia. Each variety is planted in a different location throughout the property.

Weird... when I was done checking and walking, gardenias were the only ones affected!

But there is some hope. The Everblooming Gardenia, less than a year old, discussed with me the details of exactly how I decide to add them to THE LIST. We agreed to play it by ear in the next few days and see. As I said, there may be hope.

But the others? Well, it does not look pretty. I am not sure what happened while I was on vacation during the month of January for one week.

I was told that the weather turned nasty and that it snowed less than 1 inch (the only snow for the winter). However, I did not expect this as they were very well mulched and I watered before leaving. A mystery... we may never know what happened.

I am planning to check for replacements and order soon. Because I am now more panicky about wheather issues, I plan to replace all (all but one?) with some Chuck Hayes Gardenias. These are supposed to be hardy to Zone 7 (I live in Zone 8).

Can anyone recommend a good & reliable mail order nursery for this variety?

TIA,

Luis

Comments (5)