SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goldenpond_gw

Coral Snake bite

goldenpond
16 years ago

My daughter called me to say her 10 year old son wanted to play with the neighbor kids in the swale full of water in a neighbors lawn. She told him ABSOLUTELY NOT.(she was mostly concerned about pesticide run-off) He whined that all the other kids were doing it but she still held her ground.

He angrily went down the street and watched the neighbor kids play have fun, then came home screaming that one of the kids had been bitten by a coral snake and could not feel his arm so they were taking him to the hospital.

Below is the article in TCPALM

Coral snake bites teenager in Vero Beach

April 8, 2008

Coral snake antivenin was being brought in from Melbourne and Miami Tuesday night to aid a 15-year-old youth who was reported bitten in Vero Beach, a Vero Beach city official said Tuesday.

He was bitten Tuesday afternoon and was being treated at Indian River Medical Center, said Vero Beach Animal Control Officer Bruce Dangerfield. Further details werenÂt available. Coral snake venom attacks the nervous system.

"Unlike rattlesnakes, coral snakes donÂt strike," said Dangerfield. "You have to pick one up" to get bitten. "Usually they just want to get away."

To treat the youth, two vials of antivenin were rushed in from Holmes Regional Medical Center, Melbourne. Ten more vials were being brought in from the Miami Venom Bank.

Each year, coral snakes bite about 80 Americans, half of them in Florida.

Â

****My grandson decided it is better to obey his mama form now on.

Comments (20)