SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
annafl_gw

Broccoli soup!!!

annafl
15 years ago

Well, about three weeks ago I posted wanting to get suggestions on what to do with broccoli plants in my garden that were no longer producing as much as before. I got a lot of really good suggestions. This past week I bit the bullet and pulled up the first plant that was getting too much shade to make it worth my while in secondary heads. It was also crowding the collards. Today, being a cold, blustery day in the garden, I decided to make soup! I am expecting guests tonight for a while and did not want to try a new recipe on them, so I thought now or never.

I made up a recipe closely adapted from Trinigemini's husband's recipe they so generously shared with me:

One full broccoli plant, leaves, stems and all (roots and spent leaves taken off), coarsely chopped.

One onion from the garden chopped coarsely, greens and all

4 T. butter

1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

black pepper to taste

2 cups chicken bouillon

3c. fat free organic milk

First, I put the chopped onion, red pepper flakes, black pepper and butter in a stock pot and sauteed for 5 minutes till soft. Added the boiling bouillon and the broccoli pieces, stems first. Covered the pot and cooked for about 45 minutes. Put everything in my Vitamix (very strong blender) and pureed. Added 3 cups of milk and put back on the stove to heat up again.

It was great! My DH said it tasted like it came from a fancy restaurant. The color was beautiful and I thought the texture was very good too. Will definitely make this one again. Thanks Trinigemini for sharing the recipe with me.

BTW, I also made banana bread using some Nam Wah bananas (frozen for a while) from my garden, and made homemade lemonade from my Meyer lemons. That together with some easy baked barbeque chicken, and we had one healthy meal, much of it from the garden! I've got to say we are having something from the garden daily now and we are really enjoying it. Mostly salad, onions, tangelos, broccoli or collards, but I am expanding every year.

Next broccoli plant I pull up I may try the slaw. We'll see. Just had to share my success with you and thank you folks for the ideas.

Anna

Comments (4)