SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ljlloyd

Pre-School Garden

ljlloyd
15 years ago

Hey guys, thanks again for the advise on my sister and nieces new small garden. They're still dragging their heels so I went ahead and bought and potted the suggestions u gave. They're considering moving withing 45-55 days which makes for either a rushed harvest or a lot of food left behind so containers is the way to go. Will probably give them a better shot and dealing with the heat and sun for those cool weather plants.

Meanwhile, my sister and I own a pre-school in Lauderhill, FL and can't resist the urge to start a garden for the children to teach about spring, plants, food, and nutrition. We have an OVERSIZED play area (larger than the actual facility.) So we have a few good spots for what we think may be a strawberry "patch" (out of an old sandbox), potato "forest" (grown in tire towers), okra "crossing" (vines to drape over old climbing structure) and Cherry tomato garden (ran out of good names).

I'd like to add other plants and once again I'm looking for child friendly, early-summer/full summer hardy, fast growing, easy picked, colorful plants (as well as cute names for their respective gardens, =) ). The best candidates are plants I can yield a bountiful harvest within the remaining growing season. Our goal is to produce enough for the children to grow their own healthy afternoon snacks, provide a basket of produce to each family at harvest, and to sell the remainder at a little fruit stand in front of our school to raise more funds for a new play ground (and better growing spaces).

I'm also looking for good sources of inexpensive materials, from basics like good sources of compost and top soil (I heard there are horse ranches in sunrise) to cheap mulch and pots and hand tools. Also, any GW'ers have any starter plants they'd like to donate... ;) I'm stuck on vegetables, but my sister is keen on the idea of them growing flowers for mother's day as well as florida native "landscaping" plants to sell as well.

Any ideas or resources you can contribute would be greatly welcomed!

Lefran

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida