SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
drrich2

Most reliabily Yellowest Small to Medium Conifer

drrich2
14 years ago

Hi:

I've been Googling for small-to-medium yellow conifers (perhaps 4 to 15' tall), ideally narrow-to-moderate pyramidal shape. What frustrates me is both comparing similar types on the one hand, and on the other that different photos show wide divergence in actual appearance. Some photos show yellow conifers; some show light green with a yellowish tinge, and some green conifers with yellowish tips. Which leads to the question; which 'allegedly yellow or golden' conifer is most reliable to have the strongest yellow or golden coloration?

This matters, since these aren't all common at local nurseries, so buying sight unseen online and taking what comes may be how it goes down.

I live in southwestern KY.

Some 'candidates' I found line:

Tree-type.

1.) Golden Hinoki False Cypress - Chamaecyparis obtusa Crippsii (I've got 2 similar dwarf forms, Chamaecyparis obtusa Verdoni, in our front flower bed, with target heights 3 to 5 feet or so tall). Can get over 40' tall, so really too big for me. But another web page said 12' tall & 6' wide.

There are a number of other yellowish False Cypress mentioned on this web site - http://www.conifer.com.au/chamaecyparis_medium - I don't get the sense some of these are as 'mainstream,' perhaps, but some look interesting.

2.) Techny Gold Arborvitae. 10-15' tall, 5-6' wide. I take it the form is similar to an Emerald Green Arborvitae?

3.) George Peabody Arborvitae - THUJA occidentalis 'Lutea.' 12' tall, 6' wide.

4.) Yellow Holmstrup Arborvitae - Thuja occidentalis 'Holmstrup's Yellow.' 6-9' tall.

5.) Sunkist Arborvitae - Thuja occidentalis 'Sunkist.' 6-8' high.

6.) Yellow Ribbon Arborvitae - Thuja occidentalis 'Yellow Ribbon.' 10-15' tall, 4-6' wide.

Shrub-like.

5.) Dwarf Golden Arborvitae - Thuja occidentalis 'Rheingold.' 4'x3'.

6.) Golden Globe Arborvitae 9 Thuja occidentalis 'Golden Globe.' 3'x3'. I've got 4 youngsters bought cheap earlier this winter at Lowe's to try.

As a personal aesthetic point, I like the foliage & look of arborvitae & false cypress plants; I don't like pine. Some spruce look okay.

Anybody got any particular opinions to share on how they think these stack up the each other? Which you can best count on to be the yellowest in full sun? Nicest looking, hardiest, etc...?

Thanks!

Richard.

Comments (20)