SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hogmanay_gw

Questions, advice: Norway Spruce

hogmanay
14 years ago

I'm on a new lot and planted four norway spruce seedlings (from ADF) in March. One has died. It's my fault since I didn't realize it was in a spot that stays damp and is frequently soaked (from the downspouts). I replaced it with bald cypress ealier this month (also an ADF seedling).

Our soil is typical "new burb" fill dirt in an area that was once a cotton field. It's clay, a bit on the moisture retentive and the PH is rather nuetral, a bit on the acidic side in some spots (not sure how that happened, but I'm happy it's not alkaline).

Here are my questions:

How long before Norway Spruce "take off?" My other seedlings took off like mad. I expected a delay on the confiers, but how long to I wait? For now, they look about the same as when I planted them.

In the first few years, can they survive extremes of wet weather? I know the hot dry summers will be tough on them, but I'm more concerned about loss due to excessive rain.

They are on about 15' centers as a NE corner wind block. Is this far enough apart? I've read 20' is the minimum, but I assume that's taking more ideal climate conditions into account.

Any other lower Zone 7 growers had luck with this tree? I know I'm fighting the odds here. I need a reason not to pull them and start over with a faster growing evergreen.

Lastly, what are some evergreen alternatives? I don't like eastern red cedar or blue spruce. I have two loblolly pines that can go in if I pull the norway spruce, but I'd rather have an evergreen with limbs to the ground to serve as a winter wind break.

TIA

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor