SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
manature

New Mailbox Bed

manature
16 years ago

I've been feeling really guilty about how crummy my yard looks right now, when I've been seeing all the wonderful pics of my fellow GW members. Since I don't have much going on overall, I thought I would share the one thing I HAVE gotten done (besides the Ali Baba fountain), and that's a new bed around my mailbox. It was just a clump of bedraggled African iris and a couple of lanky ruellias, but I got Mark to build me a raised bed, which I filled with some better soil than nature left in that spot. Hopefully, this will help the new plants establish some good roots and grow like mad!

Here are several shots of the bed. I stuck with pinks, purples and bright greens. Since I was experimenting with a lot of different types of plants to see which ones would be happy there, I thought a cohesive color combination would make them all work together.

The view from the curb:

A closer look:

I have planted 3 mona lavenders, a dahlia, a Swan River daisy, a Mexican heather, lavender bacopa, celosia, helichrysum, ruellia, purple shield, sweet potato vine, tradescantia, coleus, impatience, and a pink baby's breath. The light in this bed varies a lot, so I have some shade lovers and some sun lovers. We'll see which ones are happiest.

Another close up:

A close up of this adorable pink baby's breath, which I found at Lukas. It will probably decline as it gets hotter, but in the meantime, it's so pretty! I've had it a month, and it is still covered in blooms.

A close up of the celosia and the helichrysum:

Not much, compared to what so many of you have going on in your yard, but it does give me at least something to look at!

Marcia

Comments (18)