SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msulli2472

Pruning

msulli2472
15 years ago

I, like many others who live near Brandon, have a fair amount of freeze damage. My question is whether to prune certain plants or not. Anf if they should be pruned, how to do it.

Let me describe some of the plants I have and my questions.

Angels Trumpet - These plants are quite large, in the 6' to 9' range in height. All of the leaves are dead. How much should be pruned?

Varigated ginger - These plants average 4' to 5' in height. Most of the leaves on the entire plant have been burned. Can the plants just be cut down to the ground? They seem like they are fast growers.

Heliconia - These are all toast. I think they can all be cut down to the ground...correct?

Purple fountain grass - It is also toast and I am think of cutting that back to the ground as well.

Tibochina - I really like this tree. It is over 6' tall and all of the leaves are dead. I am thinkung of just leaving this alone. Do Tibs come back after such a hard freeze?

Thyrallis - Looks burned but it came back last year after a hard freeze without any help, so I am thinking of just leaving it alone.

Hibiscus - I have both the tree (8') and shrub (3') variety. All the leaves are dead. I am thinking of just leaving these alone.

Bromeliads - I have the full sun variety(Achemea)and it looks like it has been bleached. Will it come back?

Thanks for any advice and comments.

Comments (4)