SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berryphile

To prune or not to prune

berryphile
2 years ago

I just chopped off half the growth of a 1-meter tall Mexicola Grande because it wasn't branching. I did the same thing six weeks ago to a Fuerte of the same height, and it is exploding with branches all over the place. I read a research article yesterday that was comparing top-pruning 8-year-old Hass and Fuerte trees at 4 meters and 6 meters, and the 6 meter height gave much better yields over several years. Another research article was talking about selective pruning of fruiting branches in the spring to reduce the fruit load so that you can get a fruit load on alternating years. The research has convinced me to do that eventually to my Fuerte, which is famous for needing rest years. You don't prune the whole branch, but choose several main fruiting branches per year and cut the flowering tips off of the others. The next year, you prune the previous year's fruiting branches to stimulate production of new growth, which is where the flowering for the next season will occur. You have to do this in the spring to give the tree time to establish new growth to the maturity necessary for it to differentiate into fruit wood. What concepts regarding raising your trees are you most interesting in exploring these days?

Comment

Sponsored