SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marciaz3

Changing garden dynamics

Our soil here is heavy clay. Right from the start, when we began to garden, we added amendments to the soil - sandy loam, compost, manure, wood chips (poplar), lots of black earth. Throughout the years, we always had great gardens. Things really grew and we seldom ever had a complete crop failure. Sure, there were things that didn't do well one year or another but there was never a general "things just are not growing" year.

Our garden grew larger almost yearly, until a few years ago when the kids started leaving home. Since we just didn't need all the vegetables anymore, we started downsizing. Sometimes part of the garden didn't get planted, or else dh would throw an extra row or two of potatoes in the main garden. We usually had lots of potatoes, onions and carrots to keep for the winter, and more of them never hurt. We had another garden that we used exclusively for potatoes, and sometimes we did extra rows of onions in there too.

Last year, we decided to use the potato garden as our main garden, and dh built a raised bed next to it for other things. He used his backhoe to bring soil from our old garden over to the raised bed and added a lot to the potato garden, too. He left a strip of garden at the other spot for a few rows of potatoes.

The entire garden was abysmal last year, though we could blame some of that on the weather we had. However, carrots and beets should have done well in the cool weather, and so should have the cole crops. The potatoes dh grew in the old garden weren't great, but we did get enough to last for a few months.

This year is a different story weatherwise, but the gardens are not doing great again. In the raised bed, there are carrots, beets, rutabaga and swiss chard. Those are actually doing not too bad, but the beets are really spotty. Everything in the other bed just sits there sulking. It was planted late (end of May) because of the weather, but it should have picked up by now. Pumpkins should have large leaves and flowers by now, but they're small and there are very few flowers. I read in my garden journal that last year at this time, we ate our first kohlrabi, but this year the plants are about 4" high and haven't bulbed out at all. Dh replanted most of the potatoes in the other bed, but some of them still didn't come up. He added a row of beets, but they were spotty too, and he replanted a couple of weeks ago, but doesn't see any of them coming.

It's really disappointing to have this happen two years in a row - disappointing and discouraging. We can't understand why nothing is doing well. The soil is the same but it now seems to have a "crust" on top. And the new garden gets more sun than the old one does now because trees have grown up over there.

Has anyone else had this kind of experience? Are there any suggestions you can offer? Can we blame it on global warming? :> Though i'm more into flowers now, i do like to grow our own food. It gives me a real sense of satisfaction, and it's practical, besides. We ran out of canned beets last year, something almost unheard of! (If we ever run out of swiss chard, i'll know we're doomed. I'll be ecstatic, but doomed! LOL) (I love swiss chard, don't get me wrong, but i HATE canning the stuff!)

Comments (8)