SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taylorjonl

Sexing a seedling Ginkgo Biloba

taylorjonl Taylor
10 years ago

I am looking to plant 4 ginkgo biloba trees, so I went around to local nurseries to look at the trees they had. They all looked horrible, none of them had a strong central leader and all seemed to leave the ground at an angle.

So I decided to buy some baby trees, in hopes that they would be good candidates to plant, but 3 out of 4 had been headed. Not 100% sure why they did this but if the local nursery trees had this done at this age that explains why they seem to be leaving the ground at an angle. Attached is a picture of two of these trees.

So I did some research, I have read that a lot of these cultivars are grafted and many posters say the grafted trees are hit or miss on whether they look like a natural ginko tree.

So I found another place on the interwebs that sells these trees, I sent them a message and they said they plant the trees from seeds and that if I wanted all male trees they could do that. I was under the impression that that you can't sex the trees until they are a lot older. Can you sex a young ginkgo tree?

Comments (19)