SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
happy_fl_gardener

Comparing Swiss Chards

I decided to try a few different Swiss chards this year to see how they would do. Ill-man gave me some Seafoam chard to try. I also started a variety called French chard. Another friend gave me a couple of dozen seedlings of what she calls Perpetual chard. I have some young seedlings of Charlotte chard and Perpetual Spinach (beet chard) waiting to be planted.

This picture is of Seafoam chard and French chard. The Seafoam chard has a lighter color and has crinkled leaves.

This picture is one of my rows of Perpetual chard.

The Perpetual chard looks nearly the same as the French chard in the garden, but when you look at the plant the differences can be seen. The French chard has very white ribs while the other one is very pale green. The French chard's leaf is a little thicker. Taste seems to be similar.

You will have to look closely to see the seedlings. The left tray has the Charlotte chard. It has a lot of red coloring, similar to beets. The other tray has Perpetual spinach/Beet spinach. It doesn't have any red coloring. I will have to post pics of those later when they grow up.

Also, my new Organic Gardening magazine came in the mail today. On page 64-69 it features an article called "The Power of Greens". It has some nice pictures, nutritional and food prep info about the top four greens: "kale is king", "colorful chard", "top of the turnips", and "super spinach". Interesting reading. Check it out.

Christine

Comments (6)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor