SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

The preliminary damage report

fawnridge (Ricky)
14 years ago

Well, it's not as bad as I thought it would be, but remember the 10-day rule.

Most of the palms had started new shoots in the hot weather that preceded this cool down. Those are coming in short and I expect the ones after them to be stunted as well. The mulch around the Clerodendrum is all purple and the rest of the pathways in the garden are covered in a variety of leaves from the African Tulip Tree, Ylang-Ylang, and the Tipuana. The Bulnesia, that I expected to be nothing but twigs, is full of new leaves; go figure.

The Copperpod has lots of brown pods, but nothing else and the only leaves on the Uncarina are brown as well. The big rubber tree dropped half of its leaves so far, the rest should fall any moment. The native Fiddlewood and Cocoplum are undamaged as is the Yucca that we brought in a pot from New Jersey 12 years ago. Thankfully the Lonchocarpus that I see from my office window looks fine, for now.

Lots of dead Aroids but they should come back from below, but the Crotons held their own and except for some leaf drop on the north and west side of the garden I don't expect to see too much damage in ten days.

Of the Acalyphas in the garden, the standard "Copperleaf" A. wilksiania was the only one to defoliate; big surprise, it drops leaves on a cloudy day. But it is in the wind tunnel between our house and our neighbor's so that has to figure into the equation. Also in that cold, windy corridor is a Pua keni keni that I got from a swap several years ago. It's got windburn on about a third of the upper leaves. The Carob tree at the end of the tunnel has bright red new growth.

With the temperature in the 50s, I'm running the irrigation system for the first time in a week. That should perk everything up.

Overall, it looks like Mother Nature threw her worst at the garden and the plants shrugged her off. I'll be happy when we get back into the 70s, but until that time at least there's no mosquitoes.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor